Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chapter 22 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila


   The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus
  The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,
of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel.
       CHAPTER 22

In which she shows 

- that the safest way for contemplatives is 
      not to lift up the spirit to high things 
      but to wait for God to lift it up. 

- How the Sacred Humanity of Christ 
      is the medium for the most exalted contemplation. 

She mentions 
- an error 
       under which she laboured for some time. 

This Chapter  is most profitable.

     ___________________

- The security of contemplatives lies in 
     their not ascending to high things 
    if  Our Lord does not raise them. 

- The Sacred Humanity must be the road 
    to the highest contemplation. 

- A delusion in which the saint was once entangled.

____________________________
           Topics / Questions
              to keep in mind
             as we read along:
     
 1 ). What was prayer instruction
           that St. Teresa once followed 
        but later said was a "delusion"?
              [ Life: Ch. 22: # 1, 2 ] 


2). Why, When, and How did she follow
          the  prayer instruction from books? 
       But while doing so, why did she 
          "not dare to lift up her soul?
         [  Life: Ch. 22: #2,3,4,5  ]


3 ).  What reasons did she supply
         to oppose this prayer method?
               [ Life: Ch. 22: # 1, 2, 4, 7,8,9,
                         10,12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18 ]


4 ).  What did St. Teresa say about her
       experience with this prayer method 
            that she learned from books?
             [ Life: Ch. 22: # 2,3,4,5,8,9 ]


5). What does St. Teresa recommend now
        in regard to  prayer method?
            [ Life: Ch. 22: # 8, 9, 11, 20, 21]



6).  To further illustrate the importance of
          never abandoning the devotion 
     to the Sacred Humanity of Christ,
   St. Teresa refered to many saints 
       who always kept this devotion.        
  Who were the saints that she mentioned?
       [ Life: Ch. 22: #1o]


7).  In Paragraph #22, St. Teresa asked 
       "when our Lord  begins to bestow 
           ...the grace...of perfect contemplation,
         upon a soul", why does this soul
     not become "perfect at once"?
 What  does she later say about this?
        [ Life: Ch. 22: #22, 23, 25 ]

_____________________

     Chapter 22
1. There is one thing I should like to say.
     I think it important
         and if you, my father, approve, 
     it will serve for a lesson
         that possibly may be necessary; 
for in some books on prayer,  
     the writers say that
   the soul, 
                  though it cannot 
                         in its own strength 
                     attain to this state,
                  because it is altogether 
                     a supernatural work 
                        wrought in it by our Lord,
       may nevertheless succeed, by
            lifting up the spirit 
                        above all created things, and 
            raising it upwards in humility
      after some years spent in a purgative life
      and advancing in the illuminative
             I do not very well know 
                      what they mean by "illuminative";

             I understand it to mean 
                - the life of those who are making progress.

 And they advise us much to 
    - withdraw 
                from all bodily imagination, and 
    - draw near 
                to the contemplation of the Divinity; 

   for they say that those 
         who have advanced so far 
      would be embarrassed or hindered
         in their way to the highest contemplation, 
                 if they regarded 
                     even the Sacred Humanity itself. [306] 


     They defend their opinion [307] 
         by bringing forward the words [308] 
      of our Lord to the Apostles, 
         concerning the coming of the Holy Ghost;
         [ "But I tell you the truth: 
                it is expedient to you that I go: 
             for if I go not,
               the Paraclete will not come to you; 
             but if I go, 
              I will send him to you". - John 16;7 ]
    I mean that Coming 
         which was after the Ascension. 
    If the Apostles had believed, 
           as they believed 
        after the Coming of the Holy Ghost, 
           that He is both God and Man,
        His bodily Presence would, 
           in my opinion, 
        have been no hindrance; 

     for those words were not said 
        to the Mother of God, 
      though she loved Him more than all. [309] 
  They think that, 
         as this work of contemplation 
              is wholly spiritual
         any bodily object whatever 
             can disturb or hinder it. 
They say that 
     the contemplative should regard 
     - himself  as being within a definite space, 
     - God everywhere around, and 
     - himself absorbed in Him. 
  This is what we should aim at.
      [ Life: Ch. 22: # 1 ]

2. This seems to me right enough 
           now and then; 
      but 
          to withdraw altogether from Christ, and 
          to compare His divine Body 
              with our miseries or 
              with any created thing whatever, 
          is what I cannot endure. 

  May God help me to explain myself! 
I am not contradicting them on this point, 
     for they are learned and spiritual persons, 
           understanding what they say: 
God, too, is guiding souls
         by many ways and methods, 
              as He has guided mine. 

I wish to speak now
  - of my own soul that 
          I do not intermeddle with others, and
 - of the danger I was in 
       because I would comply 
          with the directions I was reading. 
I can well believe
  that he who has 
       attained to union, and 
       advances no further,
            that is, to raptures, visions, 
            and other graces of God given to souls,
    will consider that opinion to be best, 
            as I did myself: 
and if I had continued in it
    I believe I should never have reached 
            the state I am in now.
I hold it to be a delusion
     still, it may be that it is I who am deluded. 
But I will tell you what happened to me.
 [ Life: Ch. 22: # 2 ]

3. As I had no director, 
      I used to read these books, 
    where, by little and little, 
   I thought I might understand something. 
I found out afterwards that,
    if our Lord had not shown me the way
  I should have learned
          but little from books; 
   for I understood really nothing 
     till His Majesty made me learn 
             by experience: 
    neither did I know what I was doing. 
So, in the beginning, 
   when I attained to some degree 
        of supernatural prayer,
     I speak of the prayer of quiet,
  - I laboured to remove from myself 
       every thought of bodily objects
  - but I did not dare to lift up my soul, 
      for that I saw would be presumption in me,
       who was always so wicked.
   I thought, however, that 
      I had a sense of the presence of God: 
      this was true, and 
       I contrived to be in a state of  recollection 
                      before Him. 
      This method of prayer is full of sweetness, 
             if God helps us in it, 
        and the joy of it is great. 
      And so, because I was conscious
             of the profit and delight 
         which this way (had) furnished me, 
       no one could have brought me back 
                to the contemplation 
                    of the Sacred Humanity; 
          for that seemed to me 
               to be a real hindrance to prayer.
                     [ Life: Ch. 22: # 3 ]

4. O Lord of my soul, and my Good! 
    Jesus Christ crucified! 
    I never think of this opinion, 
             which I then held, 
          without pain; 
I believe it was an act of high treason
      though done in ignorance. 
Hitherto, I had been all my life long 
       so devout to the Sacred Humanity
    for this happened but lately; 
    I mean by lately, 
       that it was before our Lord gave me 
          the grace of raptures and visions. 
     I did not continue long of this opinion, [310] 
        and so I returned to my habit 
              of delighting in our Lord, 
             particularly at Communion. 
     I wish I could have His picture and image 
         always before my eyes, 
      since I cannot have Him graven in my soul 
             as deeply as I wish.
             [ Life: Ch. 22: # 4 ]

5. Is it possible, O my Lord, 
    that I could have had the thought,
           if only for an hour, 
    that Thou couldst be a hindrance 
           to my greatest good? 
Whence are all my blessings? 
      Are they not from Thee? 
I will not think that I was blamable,
      for I was very sorry for it, 
    and it was certainly done in ignorance. 
And so it pleased Thee, in Thy goodness,
         to succour me, 
     by sending me one who has delivered me 
         from this delusion
  and afterwards 
      by showing Thyself to me so many times, 
            as I shall relate hereafter, [311]
       that I might clearly perceive 
          how great my delusion was
      and also tell it to many persons; 
      which I have done, 
          as well as describe it 
        as I am doing now. 
   I believe myself that 
      this is the reason why 
   so many souls, 
        after advancing to the prayer of union,
        make no further progress, and 
            do not attain to 
        very great liberty of spirit.
         [ Life: Ch. 22: # 5]

6. It seems to me,
       that there are two considerations 
           on which I may ground this opinion. 
        Perhaps I am saying nothing to the purpose, 
         yet what I say is the result of experience; 
        for my soul was in a very evil plight,
          till our Lord enlightened it: 
        all its joys were but sips; 
        and when it had come forth therefrom, 
         it never found itself in that company 
               which afterwards it had 
          in trials and temptations.
               [ Life: Ch. 22: # 6 ]

7. The first consideration is this: 
    there is a little absence of humility 
      so secret and so hidden, 
   that we do not observe it. 
Who is there so proud and wretched as I,
        that, even after labouring all his life 
           in penances and prayers and persecutions,  
   can possibly imagine himself 
            not to be exceedingly rich, 
                  most abundantly rewarded, 
    when our Lord permits him to stand 
        with St. John at the foot of the cross? 
I know not into whose head
     it could have entered 
            to be not satisfied with this, 
         unless it be mine, 
   which has gone wrong in every way 
        where it should have gone right onwards.
              [ Life: Ch. 22: # 7 ]

8. Then, if our constitution or perhaps sicknesses
      will not permit us always
            to think of His Passion, 
      because it is so painful, 
      who is to hinder us 
            from thinking of Him 
                 risen from the grave, 
       seeing that we have Him so near us 
            in the Sacrament, 
       where he is glorified, and 
       where we shall not see Him 
          in His great weariness
           scourged, streaming with blood, 
           faint by the way, persecuted
        by those to whom He had done good, 
        and not believed in by the Apostles?
    Certainly it is not always that 
      one can bear to meditate on sufferings 
         so great as were those He underwent. 
    Behold Him here, 
         before His ascension into heaven, 
              without pain, all-glorious, giving
                      strength to some and 
                      courage to others.
     In the most Holy Sacrament, 
      He is our companion, 
      as if it was not in His power
        to withdraw Himself for a moment from us. 
    And yet it was in my power 
        to withdraw from Thee, 
O my Lord, that I might serve Thee better! 
It may be that 
        I knew Thee not 
         when I sinned against Thee; 
   but how could I,
          having once known Thee, 
      ever think I should gain more in this way
 O Lord, what an evil way I took! 
      and I was going out of the way, 
   if Thou hadst not brought me back to it. 
When I see Thee near me, 
   I see all good things together. 
   No trial befalls me 
          that is not easy to bear, 
      when I think of Thee
          standing before those who judged Thee.
               [ Life: Ch. 22: # 8 ]

9. With so good a Friend 
        and Captain ever present, 
     Himself the first to suffer, 
        everything can be borne. 
     He helps, 
     He strengthens, 
     He never fails,
     He is the true Friend. 
      I see clearly, and 
        since then 
            have always seen, that
      if we are to please God,  and
      if He is to give us His great graces,
          everything must pass through the hands 
                of His most Sacred Humanity
         in whom His Majesty said 
               that He is well pleased. [312] 
    I know this by repeated experience: 
     our Lord has told it me. 
    I have seen clearly 
         that this is the door [313] 
         by which we are to enter,
      if we would have His supreme Majesty
         reveal to us His great secrets.
              [ Life: Ch. 22: # 9 ]

10. So, then, I would have your reverence 
   seek no other way, 
        even if you were arrived 
           at the highest contemplation. 
This way is safe. 
Our Lord is He 
      by whom all good things come to us; 
He will teach you. 
Consider His life;
   that is the best example. 
What more can we want 
       than so good a Friend at our side
               who will not forsake us 
         when we are in trouble and distress, 
      as they do 
              who belong to this world! 
Blessed is he 
     who truly loves Him, and 
     who always has Him near him! 
Let us consider the glorious St. Paul, 
    who seems 
         as if Jesus was never absent from his lips, 
         as if he had Him deep down in his heart. 
After I had heard this 
      of some great Saints given to contemplation, 
  I considered the matter carefully; and 
  I see that they walked in no other way.
  St. Francis with the stigmata proves it, 
  St. Antony of Padua with the Infant Jesus; 
  St. Bernard rejoiced in the Sacred Humanity; 
    so did St. Catherine of Siena, 
        and many others, 
     as your reverence knows better than I do.
              [ Life: Ch. 22: #10 ]

11. This withdrawing from bodily objects 
              must no doubt be good, 
      seeing that it is recommended by persons 
              who are so spiritual; 
but, in my opinion, 
      it ought to be done only 
   when the soul has made very great progress;
 for until then it is clear 
     that the Creator must be sought for
             through His creatures.
All this depends on the grace 
    which our Lord distributes to every soul. 
I do not intermeddle here. 

What I would say is, 
   that the most Sacred Humanity of Christ
      is not to be counted among the objects 
         from which we have to withdraw. 

Let this be clearly understood. 
    I wish I knew how to explain it. [314]
          [ Life: Ch. 22: # 11 ]

12. When God suspends 
           all the powers of the soul,
                      as we see He does 
       in the states of prayer already described, 
     ”it is clear that, 
                whether we wish it or not, 
      this presence is withdrawn. 
         Be it so, then. 
 The loss is a blessed one,
    because it takes place in order 
         that we may have a deeper fruition 
      of what we seem to have lost; 
   for at that moment 
     the whole soul 
           is occupied in loving Him  
     the understanding 
           has toiled to know; 
    and it loves 
          what it has not comprehended, and  
    rejoices in 
           what it could not have rejoiced in so well,  
    if it had not lost itself, in order, 
                 as I am saying, 
           to gain itself  the more. 
    But that we should carefully and laboriously
             accustom ourselves 
         not to strive with all our might 
             to have always 
    the most Sacred Humanity before our eyes,
    and  Please God it be always!
                        this, I say, is 
           what seems to me not to be right
    it is making the soul, 
                      as they say, 
            to walk in the air; 
        for it has nothing to rest on
            how full soever of God
                    it may think itself to be.
                       [ Life: Ch. 22: # 12 ]

13. It is a great matter for us 
     to have our Lord before us as Man 
       while we are living and in the flesh. 
This is that other inconvenience 
    which I say must be met with. 
The first I have already begun to describe
    it is a little failure in humility
     in that the soul desires to rise of itself 
   before our Lord raises it, 
    and is not satisfied with meditation 
          on so excellent a subject,
              seeking to be Mary 
    before it has laboured with Martha
   If our Lord will have a soul to be Mary, 
      even on the first day,
     there is nothing to be afraid of; 
    but we must not be self-invited guests, 
          as I think I said on another occasion. [315] 
   This little mote of want of humility,
      though in appearance a mere nothing, 
    does a great deal of harm 
           to those who wish 
        to advance in contemplation.
         [ Life: Ch. 22: # 13 ]

14. I now come back 
         to the second consideration
  We are not angels, 
      for we have a body;
   to seek to make ourselves angels 
        while we are on the earth, and
     so much on the earth as I was,
        is an act of folly. 
In general, 
    our thoughts 
               must have something to rest on, 

        though the soul 
              - may go forth out of itself 
                     now and then,  or it
              - may be very often so full of God 
                  as to be in need of no created thing 
                  by the help of which 
                       it may recollect itself. 
              But this is not so common a case; 
          for when we have many things to do,
                when we are persecuted and in trouble,
                when we cannot have much rest, and 
                when we have our seasons of dryness, 
     Christ is our best Friend; 
     for we regard Him as Man, and 
                behold Him faint and in trouble, 
     and He is our Companion; and 
     when we shall have accustomed ourselves 
        in this way, 
     it is very easy to find Him near us,
        although there will be occasions 
          from time to time 
      when we can do neither the one 
             nor the other.
            [ Life: Ch. 22: # 14 ]

15. For this end, that is useful 
         which I spoke of before: [316] 
   we must not show ourselves 
         as labouring after spiritual consolations
   come what may, 
         to embrace the cross is the great thing. 
The Lord of all consolation 
           was Himself forsaken: 
   they left Him alone in His sorrows. 
Do not let us forsake Him; 
for His hand will help us to rise 
      more than any efforts we can make;
and He will withdraw Himself 
     when He sees it be expedient for us, 
and when He pleaseth will also 
      draw the soul forth out of itself, 
              as I said before. [317]
          [ Life: Ch. 22: # 15 ]

16. God is greatly pleased when He beholds 
    a soul in its humility 
       -  making His Son a Mediator 
                between itself and Him, 
       - and yet loving Him so much 
                as to confess its own unworthiness, 
                  even when He would raise it up 
                  to the highest contemplation, 
       - and saying with St. Peter: [318] 
                "Go Thou away from me, O
                  Lord, for I am a sinful man." 
I know this by experience: 
    it was thus that God directed my soul. 
Others may walk, 
           as I said before, [319] 
    by another and a shorter road. 
What I have understood of the matter is this: 
   - that the whole foundation of prayer 
           must be laid in humility, and 
   - that the more a soul humbles itself in prayer,  
             the more God lifts it up. 
I do not remember 
        that He ever showed me 
      any of those marvellous mercies, 
      of which I shall speak hereafter, [320] 
         at any other time 
      than when I was 
          as one brought to nothing, 
      by seeing how wicked I was.   [321]
   Moreover, His Majesty contrived
      to make me understand matters 
          that helped me to know myself, 
     but which I could never 
          have even imagined of myself.
            [ Life: Ch. 22: # 16 ]

17. I believe myself  that
if a soul makes any efforts of its own 
              to further itself 
         in the way of the prayer of union, 
             and though it may seem 
                    to make immediate progress,
    it will quickly fall back, 
     because the foundations were not duly laid. 
I fear, too, that such a soul 
    will never attain to true poverty of spirit,   
            which consists in seeking 
                  consolation or sweetness,
                      not in prayer,  
             the consolations of the earth 
                  are already abandoned,
    but rather in sorrows, 
       for the love of Him 
        who always lived in sorrows Himself; [322]
    and in being calm in the midst 
            of sorrows and aridities.
   Though the soul may feel it 
                 in some measure, 
   there is 
         no disquiet,
         nor any of that pain 
             which some persons suffer, 
     who, 
             if they are not always labouring 
                    with the understanding and 
                    with a sense of devotion, 
         think everything lost,
             as if their efforts merited 
                  so great a blessing!
                   [ Life: Ch. 22: #17 ]









 Blog's attempt for a clearer translation 
                of  paragraph #17:
I believe myself  that
   if a soul attempts to advance to  
               the prayer of union, 
           by its own efforts
   it will quickly fall back
     because the foundations were not duly laid, 
        (although  at first, it may seem 
                to make  progress.)
    
I fear, too, that such a soul 
    will never attain to true poverty of spirit.
     [ True poverty of spirit consists of 
          - seeking  comfort  in  their work / trials  
                              consolaciĂ³n en los trabajos 
                  for the love of  God
                   who always lived in sorrows Himself
          -  abandoning  the consolations of the 
              world  and in
          -  being calm in the midst 
                      of sorrows and aridities.
          -  rather than seeking  consolation  or
                 pleasure in prayer       
                                   no buscar consuelo  
                                   ni gusto en la oraciĂ³n  ]
       Though the soul may feel it (sorrows)
                 in some measure, 
   there is 
         no disquiet or  pain 
             which some persons suffer, 
     who...think everything  (is) lost 
             or  useless  
              or   of no value
          if they are not always 
                  -labouring with the understanding 
                      (actively meditating/ reflecting)
                   and 
                    with a sense of devotion, 
                       (feeling devout )
              as if their efforts merited 
                  so great a blessing!                                         













Peers translation version:

Indeed, I fear it will never attain
        to true poverty of spirit, 

     which consists in seeking, 

        -   not comfort or pleasure in prayer 
               (for it has already abandoned 
                       earthly comforts and pleasures),       

       -   but consolation in trials 
                 for the love of Him 
                Who suffered trials all His life long; 

      - and we must endure these trials, 
        and be calm amidst aridities, 
            though we may feel some regret 
                  at having to suffer them. 

    They should not cause us 
                         the unrest and distress 
                which they cause some people
     who think that, 
        if they are not for ever 
                - labouring with the understanding
                   and 
                - striving after feelings of devotion, 
       they are going completely astray,
                as if by so labouring
       they were meriting some great blessing. 
                    [ Life Ch 22 #11] 


18. I am 
    - not saying  that 
        men should not seek to be devout, 
    - nor that they should not stand 
       with great reverence in the presence of God,
    - but only that they are not to vex themselves 
        if they cannot find even one good thought,
             as I said in another place; [323] 
   for we are unprofitable servants. [324] 
What do we think we can do? 
Our Lord grant 
      that we understand this, and 
      that we may be those little asses 
           who drive the windlass 
                       I spoke of: [325] 
              these,
                   though their eyes are bandaged, and 
                   they do not understand 
                           what they are doing, 
                            yet draw up more water 
                                 than the gardener can draw 
                            with all his efforts. 
We must 
    - walk in liberty on this road, 
    - committing ourselves
          into the hands of God. 
If it be His Majesty's good pleasure to
     raise us and 
     place us  among 
          His chamberlains and secret councillors,  
        - we must go willingly; 
if not, we must 
      - serve Him in the lower offices 
              of His house, and 
      - not sit down on the upper seats. [326] 
   As I have sometimes said, [327] 
    God is 
        - more careful of us
               than we are ourselves, and 
        - knows what each one of us is fit for.
             [ Life: Ch. 22: # 18 ]

19. What use is there 
            in governing oneself 
                    by oneself, 
         when the whole Will 
           has been given up to God? 
           I think this less endurable now 
              than in the first state of prayer, and 
              it does much greater harm; 
                  for these blessings are supernatural. 
      If a man has a bad voice, 
         let him force himself 
                       ever so much
                to sing, 
         he will never improve it; 
      but if God gives him a good voice, 
         he has no need to try it twice. 
     Let us, then, 
         pray (to) Him always 
                        to show His mercy upon us, 
            with a submissive spirit, 
             yet trusting in the goodness of God. 
     And now that the soul is permitted
                to sit at the feet of Christ, 
       -  let it contrive 
                -- not to quit its place, 
                -- but keep it anyhow. 
       - Let it follow
            the example of the Magdalene; 
  
      and when it shall be strong enough, 
          God will lead it into the wilderness. [328]
              [ Life: Ch. 22: # 19 ]

20. You, then, my father, 
      must be content with this
        until you meet with some one 
      of more experience and better knowledge
           than I am.
   If you see people 
          who are beginning to taste of God, 
     do not trust them 
             if they think that they 
                   - advance more, and
                   - have a deeper fruition of God,    
                when they make efforts 
                      of their own. 
   Oh, when God wills it, 
        how He discovers Himself 
          without these little efforts of ours! 
    We may do what we like, 
        but He throws the spirit
                into a trance 
        as easily as a giant takes up a straw; 
           no resistance is possible. 
    What a thing to believe,
         that God will wait 
     till the toad shall fly of itself, 
        when He has already willed it should do so! 
Well, it seems to me 
       still more difficult and hard 
    for our spirit to rise upwards, 
       if God does not raise it
           seeing that it is burdened with earth, 
              and hindered in a thousand ways. 
      Its willingness to rise 
            is of no service to it
       for, though an aptness for flying 
              be more natural to it 
                   than to a toad,
        yet is it so sunk in the mire 
              as to have lost it by its own fault.
                [ Life: Ch. 22: #20 ]

21. I come, then, to this conclusion: 
Whenever we think of Christ, 
        we should remind ourselves 
              - of the love that made Him 
                    bestow so many graces 
                        upon us and also 
             - how great that love is 
                    which our Lord God has shown us, 
                        in giving us such a pledge 
                         of the love He bears us; 
             for love draws forth love. 
  And though we are 
            only at the very beginning, and 
            exceedingly wicked, 
       yet let us always labour to
            - keep this in view, and 
            - stir ourselves up to love
      for if once our Lord grants us this grace, 
           of having this love imprinted 
                in our hearts, 
        everything will be easy, and 
        we shall do great things 
                in a very short time, and 
            with very little labour. 
May His Majesty give us that love,
He knows the great need we have of it,
    for the sake 
        of that love which He bore us, and 
        of His glorious Son,
             to whom it cost so much 
             to make it known to us! 
       Amen.
             [ Life: Ch. 22: # 21 ]

22. There is one thing 
        I should like to ask you, my father. 
How is it that,
         when our Lord begins to bestow 
                 upon a soul 
            a grace so great as this 
                 of perfect contemplation,
      it is not, as it ought to be, 
                 perfect at once?
   Certainly, it seems it should be so; 
     for he who receives a grace so great
  ought never more to seek consolations on earth. 
How is it, I ask, 
   that a soul which 
               - has ecstasies and 
               - so far is more accustomed
                      to receive graces,
          should yet seem to bring forth fruits 
                still higher and higher, 
           and the more so, 
                  the more it is detached
        when our Lord might have sanctified it 
                 at once,
              the moment He came near it? 
How is it, I ask again,
    that the same Lord brings it 
            to the perfection of virtue 
                 only in the course of time? 
I should be glad to learn the reason, 
    for I know it not. 
    I do know, however, 
        that in the beginning, 
     when a trance 
               - lasts only the twinkling of an eye, and 
               - is almost imperceptible 
            but for the effects it produces,
       the degree of strength
                        which God then gives 
             is very different from that 
                         which He gives 
             when this grace is a trance 
                          of longer duration.
                  [ Life: Ch. 22: # 22 ]

23. Very often, when thinking of this,
                 have I imagined
     the reason might be,
         that the soul does not despise itself 
               all at once, 
          till our Lord 
                 - instructs it by degrees, and 
                 - makes it resolute, and 
                 - gives it the strength of manhood,
            so that it may trample 
                    utterly upon everything
      He gave this strength to the Magdalene 
            in a moment. 
       He gives the same grace to others, 
           according to the measure 
              of their abandonment of themselves 
            into the hands of His Majesty,
              that He may do with them as He will. 
        We never thoroughly believe 
             that God rewards a hundredfold 
                  even in this life. [329]
              [ Life: Ch. 22: # 23 ]

24. I also thought of this comparison: 
 Supposing grace 
          given to those who are far advanced 
     to be the same with that 
          given to those who are but beginners, 
   we may then liken it to a certain food 
           of which many persons partake:
      they who eat a little 
           retain the savour of it for a moment, 
      they who eat more 
           are nourished by it, 
      but those who eat much 
            receive life and strength. 
Now, the soul may eat 
               so frequently and 
               so abundantly 
        of this food of life 
               as to have no pleasure 
                     in eating any other food, 
               because it sees how much good 
                     it derives from it. 
      Its taste is now so formed upon it, 
        that it would 
             rather not live
             than have to eat any other food; 
         for all food 
            but this
                  has no other effect 
            than to take away the sweet savour 
                  which this good food leaves behind.
                   [ Life: Ch. 22: # 24 ]

25. Further, the conversation of good people 
          does not profit us in one day
      as much as it does in many; 
       and we may converse with them 
             long enough to become like them, 
       by the grace of God. 
       In short, the whole matter 
               is as His Majesty wills
      He gives His grace
              to whom He pleases;
        But much depends on this: 
          - He who begins to receive this grace must
              -- make a firm resolution 
                   to detach himself from all things 
                 and
              -- esteem this grace according to reason.
                        [ Life: Ch. 22: # 25 ] 

26. It seems also to me 
     as if His Majesty were going about 
       to try those who love Him, 
                 now one, 
                 now another,
          revealing Himself in supreme joy, 
                 so as to quicken our belief, 
                     if it should be dead, 
          in what He will give us, saying,
          Behold! this is but a drop 
                of the immense sea of blessings; 
          for He leaves nothing undone 
                for those He loves; 
          and as He sees them receive it, 
                      so He gives, 
                and He gives Himself. 
          He loves those 
                     who love Him. 
Oh, how dear He is!
       how good a Friend! 
O my soul's Lord, 
   who can find words to describe 
          what Thou givest to those 
                    who trust in Thee, and 
          what they lose who come to this state,
                     and yet dwell in themselves! 
 Oh, let not this be so, O my Lord! 
            for Thou doest more than this 
     when Thou comest to a lodging 
            so mean as mine.
Blessed be Thou for ever and ever!
   [ Life: Ch. 22: # 22 ]

27. I now humbly ask you, my father, 
   if you mean to discuss 
      what I have written on prayer 
              with spiritual persons, 
        to see that they are so really;
      for if they be persons 
           who know only one way, or 
           who have stood still midway, 
      they will not be able 
            to understand the matter. 
There are also some
       whom God leads 
                 at once 
                 by the highest way; 
     these think that others might advance
          in the same manner 
                     quiet the understanding, and 
                      make bodily objects
                             none of their means; 
          but these people will remain dry as a stick. 
  Others, also, there are 
      who, having for a moment 
               attained to the prayer of quiet,
         think forthwith that, 
               as they have had the one, 
         so they may have the other.
      These instead of advancing, 
              go back, 
                   as I said before. [330] 
 So, throughout,
      experience and discretion are necessary. 
May our Lord, of His goodness,
      bestow them on us!
          [ Life: Ch. 22: # 4 ]
______________________________

[306] See Inner Fortress, vi. 7,  § 4.
[307] This opinion is supposed to be justified 
             by the words of St. Thomas, 
              3 Sent. dist. 22, qu. 3, art. 1, 
             ad quintum
"Corporalis præsentia Christi in duobus 
  poterat esse nociva. 
  Primo, quantum ad fidem, quia videntes 
  Eum in forma in qua erat minor Patre, 
  non ita de facili crederent Eum æqualem
  Patri, ut dicit glossa super Joannem.    
  Secundo, quantum ad dilectionem, 
    quia Eum non solum spiritualiter, 
   sed etiam carnaliter diligeremus, 
   conversantes cum Ipso corporaliter, 
   et hoc est de imperfectione dilectionis."
  
[308] St. John xvi. 7: 
  "Expedit vobis ut Ego vadam; 
    si enim non abiero,
    Paracletus non veniet ad vos."
[309] This sentence is in the margin 
            of the original MS., 
                 not in the text,
          but in the handwriting of the Saint 
           (De la Fuente).
[310] "I mean by lately . . . and visions"
            is in the margin of the MS., 
           but in the handwriting of the Saint
               (De la Fuente).
[311] [263]  Ch. xxviii. § 4.
[312] St. Matt. iii. 17: 
          "Hic est Filius Meus dilectus, 
            in quo Mihi complacui."
[313] St. John x. 7, 9: 
           "Ego sum ostium."
[314] See St. John of the Cross, [264]
           Mount Carmel, bk. iii. ch. i. p. 212.
[315] [265]Ch. xii. §§ 5, [266] 7.
[316] [267]Ch. xv. § 21.
[317] [268]Ch. xx. § 2.

[318] St. Luke v. 8: 
         "Exi a me, quia homo peccator sum, 
           Domine."
[319] [269]Ch. xii. § 6.
[320] [270]Ch. xxviii.
[321] Psalm lxxii. 22: 
          "Et ego ad nihilum redactus sum, 
            et nescivi."
[322] Isaias liii 3: 
          "Virum dolorum, 
            et scientem infirmitatem."
[323] [271]Ch. xi. § 15.
[324] St. Luke xvii. 10: 
          "Servi inutiles sumus."
[325] [272]Ch. xi. § 11.
[326] St. Luke xiv. 8: 
          "Non discumbas in primo loco." 
           See Way of Perfection,
           ch. xxvi. § 1; 
           but [273]ch. xvii. of the old editions.
[327] [274]Ch. xi. § 23, [275]ch. xviii. § 6.
[328] Os. ii. 14: 
          "Ducam eam in solitudinem."
[329] St. Matt. xix. 29:
          "Qui reliquerit domum, 
            . . . centuplum accipiet."
[330] [276]Ch. xii. § 5.
_____________________