Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Thursday, September 30, 2010

Chapter 23 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila



The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus
  The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,
of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel.
       CHAPTER 23

 She returns to 
- the history of her life, 
- how she began to practise 
      greater perfection. 
- This is profitable for those 
     who have to direct souls practising prayer
     that they may know 
         how to deal with beginners, and 
She speaks of 
- the profit she derived from such knowledge.

The Saint Resumes 
- the History of Her Life. 
- Aiming at Perfection. 
- Means Whereby It May Be Gained. 
- Instructions for Confessors.

________________________
Topics/ Questions
to keep in mind
as we read along:
1). St. Teresa wrote:
"I shall now return 
     to that point in my life 
     where I broke off, [331]
  having made...a longer digression...          
  in order that what is still to come 
  may be more clearly understood".
   What was this digression ?
       [ Life: Ch. 23: #1, Footnote #1 ]
2). Describe  what led up to 
       St. Teresa's desire 
           to "seek diligently 
         for spiritual persons 
        with whom (she) might    
         ...(discuss her)...state. 
           [ Life: Ch. 23: #1,2,3,5,6  ]
3). St. Teresa said that she 
      was aware that the Jesuit Fathers 
          were in her local.   
   She was "greatly attracted by them...
   because...of their way of life and 
           of prayer.

   Why had she not requested
    Spiritual Direction from them 
       up to that time ?
       [ Life: Ch. 23: #4]

4). Later, she writes that 
she consulted  the ecclesiastic  
    ( Fr. Gaspar Daza ).
She made his acquaintance 
    through a holy layman 
(Don Francisco de Salcedo)  
   who was distantly related to her 
         through marriage.
What concerns did she experience
   from this encounter?  
      [ Life: Ch. 23: #8,  9 ]
5).   Later, she writes that 
          she confered with  that holy layman 
        (Don Francisco de Salcedo). 
   
5a). How did he encourage her?
           [ Life: Ch. 23: # 10, 11 ]
5b). What concerns did she experience  
            from this encounter?  and
           
           How was she eventually led to the
           Jesuits for Spiritual Direction?
              [ Life: Ch. 23: # 12,14,15,16,17]
6a). What book did St. Teresa
           show to her Spiritual Directors
            (  Fr. Gaspar Daza and 
               Don Francisco de Salcedo,  
                 a holy layman )   ?
               [ Life: Ch. 23: #13, 
                          Foot Note 340 ]

6b). Why did she show this book to them?
             [ Life: Ch. 23: #13 ]

7). What consoled her 
           while she prepared to confer 
        with the Jesuit Father ?
           [ Life: Ch. 23: # 17,
              Footnote 346 ]
8). How did St. Teresa prepare
        for  her general Confession 
        and how did it affect her?
             [ Life: Ch. 23: # 17]

9a). What did the Jesuit Father
           tell her regarding 
             her prayer state?
             [ Life: Ch. 23: # 18 ]
9b) What recommendations 
          did he give to St. Teresa?
            [ Life: Ch. 23: #18,
              Footnote 347   ]
10). What was her impression 
            of this Jesuit father?
              [ Life: Ch. 23: #18, 19  ]
11). Who was this Jesuit Father
           to whom St. Teresa was referred
          and who greatly benefited St. Teresa?
                 [ Life: Ch. 23: #19
                      Foot Note 347  ]
______________________

Chapter 23
1. I shall now return 
        to that point in my life 
     where I broke off, [331]
      having made, I believe, 
         a longer digression 
               than I need have made, 
      in order that what is still to come 
          may be more clearly understood. 
   Henceforth,
       it is 
                another and a new book, 
       I mean, 
                another and a new life. 
   Hitherto, 
               my life was my own; 
     my life, 
            since I began to explain 
                    these methods of prayer, 
             is the life which God lived in me,
                     so it seems to me; 
         for I feel it to be impossible 
             that I should have escaped 
         in so short a time 
             from ways and works
         that were so wicked. 
May our Lord be praised, 
     who has delivered me from myself!
2. When, then, I began 
          - to avoid the occasions of sin, and 
          - to give myself  more unto prayer, 
        our Lord also began 
             to bestow His graces upon me, 
          as one who desired, so it seemed, 
            that I too should be willing 
                   to receive them. 
  His Majesty began to give me most frequently
             the grace of the prayer of quiet,
        and very often that of  union
             which lasted some time. 
   But as, in these days,
           women have fallen into great delusions 
                 and deceits of Satan, [332] 
      I began to be afraid, 
           because the joy and sweetness 
               which I felt were so great, and
            very often beyond my power to avoid. 
     On the other hand, 
      I felt in myself a very deep conviction
            that God was with me
         especially when I was in prayer.
       I saw, too,
           that I grew better and stronger thereby.
3. But if I was a little distracted, 
     I began
         to be afraid, and 
         to imagine
     that perhaps it was Satan that
         suspended my understanding, 
     making me think it to be good,
         in order to 
             - withdraw me from mental prayer, 
             - hinder my meditation 
                           on the Passion, and 
              - debar me the use of my understanding: 
  this seemed to me, 
      who did not comprehend the matter, 
           to be a grievous loss 
  but, as His Majesty was pleased 
      to give  me light 
            - to offend Him no more, and
            - to understand how much I owed Him, 
        this fear so grew upon me, 
            that it made me seek diligently 
             for spiritual persons 
                   with whom I might treat of my state.
    I had already heard of some; 
    for the Fathers of the Society of Jesus 
             had come hither; [333] 
    and I, though I knew none of them, 
           was greatly attracted by them, 
       merely because I had heard of their way 
           of life and of prayer; 
    but I did not think myself 
        - fit to speak to them, or 
        - strong enough to obey them;
           and this made me still more afraid; 
           -- for to converse with them, 
               and (then) remain what I was, 
                   seemed to me somewhat rude.
4. I spent some time in this state, 
        till, after much 
              inward contention and fear, 
        I determined to confer 
              with some spiritual person, 
         -  to ask him to tell me 
                 what that method of prayer was 
                 which I was using, and 
         - to show me whether
                  I was in error. 
I was also resolved to do everything I could 
          not to offend God; 
   for the want of courage 
               of which I was conscious, 
              as I said before, [334] 
       made me so timid. 
O my God,
    Was there ever delusion so great as mine, 
        when I withdrew from good 
             in order to become good
The devil must lay much stress on this 
      in the beginning of a course of virtue; 
    for I could not overcome my repugnance. 
     (The devil)  knows that 
           the whole relief of the soul     
                consists in conferring 
                with the friends of God. 
    Hence it was that no time was fixed
          in which I should resolve to do this. 
     I waited to grow better first, 
           as I did before 
        when I ceased to pray, [335]  and 
     perhaps I never should have become better; 
        for I had now sunk so deeply 
             into the petty ways of an evil habit,
     I could not convince myself 
          - that they were wrong, 
          - that I needed the help of others, 
             who should hold out a hand 
                to raise me up. 
Blessed be Thou,  O Lord!  
   for the first hand outstretched to me 
          was Thine.
5. When I saw that my fear was going so far,
     it struck me  
             because I was making 
                  progress in prayer
        that this must be 
                  a great blessing, 
                  or 
                  a very great evil; 
     for I understood perfectly 
                  that what had happened 
            was something supernatural

     because 
        - at times I was unable to withstand it; 
        - to have it when I would 
           ( to have it when I wanted to have it)
               was also impossible. 
I thought to myself 
       that there was no help for it, 
    but in 
          - keeping my conscience pure, 
          - avoiding every occasion (of sin)
                 even of venial sins; 
   for if it was the work of the Spirit of God, 
          the gain was clear; 
   and if the work of Satan, 
                 so long as I strove to please, 
                 and did not offend, our Lord, 
          Satan could do me little harm; 
     on the contrary, 
          he must lose in the struggle. 
- Determined on this course, and 
- always praying God to help me, 
- striving also after purity of conscience 
        for some days, 
                I saw that 
        my soul had not strength to go forth alone
                to a perfection so great. 
  I had certain attachments to trifles, 
      which, though not very wrong in themselves,
   were yet enough to ruin all.
6. I was told of a learned ecclesiastic, [336]  
                        ( Fr. Gaspar Daza )
                dwelling in this city, 
       whose goodness and pious life 
           our Lord was beginning to make known 
                to the world. 
    I contrived to make his acquaintance 
       through a saintly nobleman [337] 
                ( Don Francisco de Salcedo )
                living in the same place. 
       This latter is a married man; 
       but his life is 
            so edifying and virtuous, 
            so given to prayer, and 
            so full of charity, 
       that the goodness and perfection of it 
            shine forth in all he does: 
       and most justly so;
       for many souls have been greatly blessed 
            through him, 
       because of his great gifts, 
            which, 
                          though his condition of a layman 
                           be a hindrance to him, 
             never lie idle. 
      He is a man of great sense, 
            and very gentle with all people; 
      his conversation is never wearisome,
            but so sweet and gracious, 
            as well as upright and holy, 
      that he pleases everybody very much 
           with whom he has any relations. 
      He directs it all to the great good 
              of those souls 
        with whom he converses and 
      he seems to have no other end in view 
      but to do all he may be permitted to do 
                   for all men, 
              and make them content.
7. This blessed and holy man, then, 
                 seems to me, 
             by the pains he took, 
       to have been the beginning of salvation 
                  to my soul. 
   His humility in his relations with me 
             makes me wonder; 
      for he had spent, I believe, 
             nearly forty years in prayer,
             it may be two or three years less, and
      all his life was ordered 
             with that perfection 
          which his state admitted. 
   His wife is 
          so great a servant of God, and 
          so full of charity, 
      that nothing is lost to him on her account, 
          [338] in short, she was the chosen wife 
      of one who God knew would
           serve Him so well. 
    Some of their kindred are married 
           to some of mine.
   Besides, I had also much communication 
         with another great servant of God,
      married to one of my first cousins.
8. It was thus I contrived 
        that the ecclesiastic I speak of, 
               ( Fr. Gaspar Daza )
   who was so great a servant of God, 
         and his great friend, 
     should come to speak to me,
         intending 
             to confess to him, and
             to take him for my director. 
     When he had brought him to speak to me, 
          I, in the greatest confusion 
                     at finding myself
                 in the presence of so holy a man,   
          revealed to him 
                 the state of my soul, and
                  my way of prayer. 
         He would not be my confessor; 
          he said that he was very much occupied:  
                and so, indeed, he was. 
     He began with a holy resolution 
           to direct me as if I was strong,
           I ought to have been strong, 
                according to the method of prayer 
                      which he saw I used,
           so that I should in nothing 
               offend God. 
     When I saw
           -  that he was resolved 
                  to make me break off at once 
               with the petty ways 
                  I spoke of before, [339] and 
           - that I had not the courage
                to go forth at once 
                  in the perfection 
                he required of me, 
        I was distressed; and
    When I perceived 
             that he ordered the affairs of my soul 
                 as if I ought to be perfect at once, 
             I saw that much more care 
                 was necessary in my case.
    In a word, 
       I felt that the means 
           he would have employed 
       were not those 
           by which my soul could be helped onwards; 
       for they were fitted for a soul 
           more perfect than mine; and 
      though the graces 
           I had received from God 
      were very many, 
           I was still at the very beginning 
      in the matter 
           of virtue and
           of mortification.
9. I believe certainly, 
       if I had only had this ecclesiastic 
              ( Fr. Gaspar Daza )
               to confer with,
        that my soul would have made no progress; 
   for the pain it gave me 
        to see that I
               - was not doing  
                      and, as I thought, 
               - could not do  
                     what he told me, 
       was enough to 
               destroy all hope, and 
               make me abandon the matter altogether.
 I wonder at times
   how it was  
    that he, 
             being one who had a particular grace 
                  for  the direction of beginners 
             in the way of God,     
      was not permitted 
            to understand my case, or 
            to undertake the care of my soul.
      I see it was all
          for my greater good
       in order that I might know and converse   
             with persons so holy 
       as the members of the Society of Jesus.
10. After this, 
       I arranged with that saintly nobleman 
                (Don Francisco de Salcedo)
             that he should come
            and see me now and then. 
    It shows how deep his humility was; 
       for he consented to converse with a person 
          so wicked as I was. 
He began his visits, he 
      encouraged me, and 
      told me that 
            - I ought not to suppose (that)
                I could give up everything 
                   in one day; 
            - God would bring it about 
                    by degrees: 

            - he himself had for some years 
                 been unable to free himself 
              from some very slight imperfections. 
O humility! 
what great blessings thou bringest 
             to those in whom thou dwellest, and 
             to them who draw near to those 
                      who possess thee!
This holy man,
              for I think I may justly call him so, 
    told me of weaknesses of his own, 
              in order to help me. 
He, in his humility,
    thought them weaknesses;
        but, if we consider his state, 
    they were neither faults nor imperfections;
yet, in my state,
    it was a very great fault to be subject to them.
11. I am not saying this 
               without a meaning, 
       though I seem to be enlarging on trifles; 
     but these trifles 
        contribute so much 
     towards the beginning of 
               the soul's progress and
               its flight upwards,
      though it has no wings, 
               as they say;
      and yet no one will believe it 
               who has not had experience of it; 
but, as I hope in God 
     that your reverence will help many a soul, 
  I speak of it here.
My whole salvation  depended 
       on his knowing how to treat me, 
       on his humility,
       on the charity with 
                  which he conversed with me, and 
       on his patient endurance of me 
           when he saw that I 
                   did not mend my ways at once. 
  He went on discreetly, 
      by degrees showing me 
           how to overcome Satan. 
  My affection for him so grew upon me, 
      that I never was more at ease 
   than on the day I used to see him.
  I saw him, however, very rarely. 
   When he was long in coming, 
       I used to be very much distressed, 
    thinking that he would not see me 
       because I was so wicked.
12. When he found out my great imperfections, 
           they might well have been sins,
       though since I conversed with him 
           I am somewhat improved, and 
when I recounted to him, 
       in order to obtain light from him, 
   the great graces 
       which God had bestowed upon me, 
   he told me 
        - that these things were inconsistent 
              one with another;
        - that these consolations were given 
              to people who had 
                   made great progress, and 
                   led mortified lives; 
        - that he could not help being 
                   very much afraid 
           he thought that the evil spirit might 
                   have something to do in my case; 
     he would not decide that question, however, 
     but he would have me 
            - carefully consider
                        my whole method of prayer, and
            - then tell him of it. 
      That was the difficulty: 
           I did not understand it myself, and so 
           I could tell him nothing of my prayer; 
           for the grace to 
                    - understand it and, 
                    - understanding it, to describe it 
              has only lately been given me of God. 
     This saying of his,
                  together with the fear I was in,  
           distressed me exceedingly, 
           and I cried; 
        for certainly I was anxious to please God, 
        and I could not persuade myself
            that Satan had anything to do with it. 
        But I was afraid, 
            on account of my great sins, 
         that God might leave me blind, 
            so that I should understand nothing.
13. Looking into books 
               to see if I could find anything there 
       by which I might recognise
               the prayer I practised, 
  I found 
          - in one of (the books) 
               called the Ascent of the Mount[340] 
                     (  "Ascent of Mount Zion"
                        "Subida del Monte Sion",
                           by a Franciscan friar, 
                           Bernardino de Laredo"
                           [Foot Note 340]   )
          - in that part of it which relates 
                to the union of the soul with God
                 -- all those marks (signs)
                      which I had in myself, in that
                    I could not think of anything
       This is what I most dwelt on 
             - that I could think of   nothing 
                   when I was in prayer. 
      I marked that passage, 
        and gave him the book,
      that he,  (Don Francisco de Salcedo )
       and the ecclesiastic mentioned before,  [341] 
      saint and servant of God, (Fr. Gaspar Daza)                                  
          -  might consider it, and
          -  tell me what I should do. 
   If they thought it right, 
     I would give up 
            that method of prayer altogether; 
     for why should I expose myself to danger, 
           when, at the end of nearly twenty years,    
                during which I had used it, 
           I had gained nothing, 
                but had fallen into a delusion of  the devil?
           It was better for me to give it up. 
           And yet this seemed to me hard; 
           for I had already discovered 
              what my soul would become 
                  without prayer.
        Everything seemed full of trouble. 
        I was like a person 
               in the middle of a river, 
          who, in whatever direction he may turn, 
               fears a still greater danger, and 
               is well-nigh drowned. 
           This is a very great trial, 
               and I have gone through many like it, 
                       as I shall show hereafter; [342]     
               and though it does not seem 
                       to be of any importance,
             it will perhaps be advantageous 
                  to understand how the spirit 
                        is to be tried.
14. And certainly 
           the affliction to be borne is great, and 
            caution is necessary, 
         particularly in the case of women,
           for our weakness is great,
         and much evil may be the result 
           of telling them very distinctly 
              that the devil is busy with them; 
 yea, rather, 
    the matter should be 
            very carefully considered, 
    and they should be removed 
           out of reach of the dangers 
                  that may arise. 
    They should be advised 
          to keep things secret; 
     and it is necessary, also, 
          that their secret should be kept.
     I am speaking of this 
           as one to whom
        it has been a sore trouble; 
           for some of those 
                with whom I spoke of my prayer
                      did not keep my secret, 
           but, making inquiries one of another, 
                 for a good purpose, 
                       did me much harm; 
         for they made things known 
           which might well have remained secret,   
         because not intended for every one and
            it seemed as if 
         I had made them public myself. [343]
15. I believe that our Lord permitted [344]
            this to be done 
                 without sin  on their part, 
            in order that I might suffer. 
       I do not say that they revealed 
            anything I discussed with them 
                 in confession; 
       still, as they were persons to whom, 
                in my fears, 
       I gave a full account of myself,
               in order that they might 
                          give me light, 
         I thought they ought to have been silent. 
Nevertheless, I never dared to conceal anything 
         from such persons. 
My meaning, then, is,
      that women should be directed 
              with much discretion; 
  
      their directors should 
          - encourage them, and 
          - bide the time 
                when our Lord will help them, 
                      as He has helped me. 
      If He had not, 
          the greatest harm would have befallen me,
       for I was in great fear and dread; 
       and as I suffered from disease of the heart,
           [345] I am astonished that all this
                   did not do me a great deal of harm.
16. Then, when I had given him the book, 
            and told the story 
                    of my life and
                    of my sins, 
                the best way I could in general,
         for I was not in confession, 
               because he was a layman; 
                     ( Don Francisco de Salcedo )
    yet I gave him clearly to understand 
          how wicked I was,
     those two servants of God, 
                     (  Fr. Gaspar  Daza
                        Don Francisco de Salcedo )
         with great charity and affection, 
       considered what was best for me. 
    When they had made up their minds 
            what to say, 
                   I was waiting for it in great dread, 
              having begged many persons 
                   to pray to God for me, 
                  and I too had prayed much 
                          during those days,
       the nobleman came to me in great distress,
                         ( Don Francisco de Salcedo )
       and said 
            - that, in the opinion of both, 
                I was deluded by an evil spirit; 
            - that the best thing for me to do 
                 was to apply to a certain father
                    of the Society of Jesus
               who would come to me 
                     if I sent for him, 
                saying I had need of him;
             - that I ought, in a general confession, 
                   to give him an account 
                        of my whole life, and 
                        of the state I was in,
                    and all with great clearness: 
                God would, in virtue 
                         of the Sacrament of Confession, 
                    give him more light concerning me;
                  for those fathers 
                        were very experienced men 
                   in matters of spirituality.
              - Further, I was not to swerve
                         in a single point 
                 from the counsels of that father; 
                         for I was in great danger, 
                 if I had no one to direct me.
17. This answer so alarmed and distressed me, 
   that I knew not what to do
       I did nothing but cry. 
    Being in an oratory 
             in great affliction,
           not knowing what would become of me, 
       I read in a book
                           it seemed as if our Lord 
                           had put it into my hands
           that St. Paul said, 
                God is faithful; [346] 
                 that He will never permit Satan 
                       to deceive those who love Him. 
         This gave me great consolation. 
      I began 
          to prepare for my general confession, and 
          to write out all the evil and all the good: 
              a history of my life, 
           as clearly as I 
                   understood it, and 
                   knew how to make it, 
               omitting nothing whatever. 
I remember, 
  when I saw I had written 
               so much evil, and 
              scarcely anything that was good,
      that I was exceedingly distressed 
                   and sorrowful. 
      It pained me, also, 
          that the nuns of the community 
                should see me converse 
          with such holy persons as those 
               of the Society of Jesus; 
            for I was afraid 
                         of my own wickedness, 
             and I thought I should be obliged 
                         to cease from it, 
                    and give up my amusements; 
             and that if I did not do so, 
                    I should grow worse: 
        so I persuaded 
                    the sacristan and the portress 
             to tell no one of it. 
             This was of little use, after all; 
              for when I was called down 
                    there was one at the door,
                               as it happened, 
                    who told it to the whole convent. 
         But what difficulties and what terrors 
              Satan troubles them with 
         who would draw near unto God!
18. I communicated 
             the whole state of my soul 
        to that servant of God [347]
             [ Father  Juan de Padranos]
      and he was a great servant of His, 
             and very prudent. 
      He understood all I told him, 
            explained it to me, and 
            encouraged me greatly. 
      He said
       -  that all was very evidently 
           the work of the Spirit of God; 
      - only it was necessary for me 
           to go back again to my prayer
            because I was not well grounded, 
            and had not begun to understand 
              what mortification meant, 
            that was true,
            for I do not think I knew it 
               even by name,
       - that I was by no means to give up prayer;
       - on the contrary, 
            I was to do violence to myself 
                   in order to practise it,
            because God had bestowed on me 
                   such special graces 
             as made it impossible to say 
                  whether it was, or was not, 
                           the will of our Lord 
                  to do good to many through me. 
       He went further, 
          for he seems to have prophesied of that 
              which our Lord afterwards did with me,

       and said 
          that I should be very much to blame 
            if I did not correspond with the graces 
          which God bestowed upon me. 
      It seems to me 
           that the Holy Ghost was speaking 
                  by his mouth 
         in order to heal my soul, 
                  so deep was the impression he made. 
        He made me very much ashamed of myself,
          and directed me by a way 
               which seemed to change me altogether. 
        What a grand thing it is
                to understand a soul! 
         He told me
           - to make my prayer every day 
                 on some mystery of the Passion, 
                    and that I should profit by it, and
           - to fix my thoughts 
                     on the Sacred Humanity only, 
          - resisting to the utmost of my power 
                those recollections and delights, 
                    to which I was not to yield 
                              in any way 
                 till he gave me further directions 
                              in the matter.
19. He left me consoled and fortified: 
      our Lord came to my succour and to his, 
            so that he might understand
                  - the state I was in, and 
                  - how he was to direct me. 
      I made a firm resolution 
         not to swerve from anything 
             he might command me, 
         and to this day I have kept it. 
     Our Lord be praised, 
           who has given me grace 
                 to be obedient to my confessors, [348] 
                         however imperfectly! 
         and they have almost always been
              those blessed men 
                of the Society of Jesus;
           though, as I said, 
         I have but imperfectly obeyed them. 
         My soul began to improve visibly, 
               as I am now going to say.

__________________________

[331] At the end of [277]ch. 9
          The thirteen chapters interposed between
           that and this the twenty-third 
           are a treatise on mystical theology.
[332] She refers to Magdalene of the Cross 
           (Reforma de los Descalos, vol. i. 
            lib. i. c. xix. § 2).
 [333] The college of the Society at Avila was 
             founded in 1555; 
               but some of the Fathers had come  
             thither in 1553 (De la Fuente).
[334] [278]Ch. vii. § 37.
[335] [279]Ch. xix. §§ 7, 8.
[336] Gaspar Daza had formed a society of 
            priests in Avila, and was a very
             laborious and holy man. 
           It was he who said the first Mass in the 
            monastery of St. Joseph, 
           founded by St. Teresa, whom he survived,
               dying Nov. 24, 1592.
            He committed the direction of his priests
               to F. Baltasar Alvarez (Bouix).
            Juan of Avila acted much in the same  
            way when the Jesuits settled in Avila
             (De la Fuente).
[337] Don Francisco de Salcedo. 
          After the death of his wife, 
               he became a priest, and was chaplain 
           and confessor of the Carmelite nuns 
               of St. Joseph.
           For twenty years of his married life 
              he attended regularly the theological
            lectures of the Dominicans, 
               in the house of St. Thomas. 
            His death took place Sept. 12, 1580,    
            when he had been a priest for ten years 
             (St. Teresa's Letters, vol. iv. letter 43, 
              note 13: letter 368, ed. of De la Fuente).
[338] Dona Mencia del Aguila (De la Fuente, 
           in a note on letter 10, vol. ii. p. 9, 
              where he corrects himself,
            having previously called her Mencia
              de Avila).
[339] [280] § 4.
[340] Subida del Monte Sion, 
           by a Franciscan friar, 
                 Bernardino de Laredo
             (Reforma, vol. i. lib. i. c. xix. § 7).
[341] [281] § 6.
[342] See [282]ch. xxv. § 18.
[343] See [283]ch. xxviii. § 18.
[344] See [284]Relation, vii. § 17.
[345] See [285]ch. iv. § 6.
[346] 1 Cor. x. 13: 
           "Fidelis autem Deus est, 
             qui non patietur vos tentari
              supra id quod potestis."
[347] F. Juan de Padranos, whom St. Francis de 
          Borja had sent in 1555, with
             F. Fernando Alvarez del Aguila, 
           to found the house of the Society in Avila
            (De la Fuente). 
            Ribera, i. 5, says he heard that F. Juan de
               Padranos gave in part the Exercises 
                of St. Ignatius to the Saint.
[348] See [286]Relation, i. § 9.
________________________________