Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chapter 24 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila



   The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus
  The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,
of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel.
       CHAPTER 24
She continues 
  - the same subject and
 -  tells how her soul improved
      since she began to practise obedience, and 
- how little she was able to resist God's graces, and 
- how His Majesty continued to give them 
   more and more abundantly.

- Progress Under Obedience. 
- Her Inability to Resist the Graces of God. 
- God Multiplies His Graces.  

________________________ 

     Topics/ Questions
          to keep in mind
         as we read along:

1). How did she benefit from the 
       guidance of her Confessors and     
         Spiritual Directors?
            [ Life: Ch24  # 2,3,8,9  ]

2). What recommendations
        did she receive?
            [  Life: Ch24 #2,4,6  ]


3). What did St. Teresa say 
         about her attachment 
        to a certain friendship?
              [ Life: Ch24  #6,7,8 ]


4). St. Teresa emphasized that
      she tried to give up her attachments 
      but was unable to be effective
          by her own efforts;
      It was God who changed her. 
     What did she say about this?
             [ Life: Ch24  #6, 8, 9  ]

_________________________


      Chapter 24
1. After this my confession, 
      my soul was so docile that, 
             as it seems to me,
    there was nothing in the world 
       I was not prepared to undertake.
  
I began at once 
    to make a change in many things, 
     though my confessor 
          never pressed me on the contrary, 
      he seemed to make light of it all. 

I was the more influenced by this, 
   because he led me on 
      by the way of the love of God
      he left me free, and 
           did not press me,
        unless I did so myself, 
           out of love. 

I continued thus nearly two months
   doing all I could  to resist 
      the sweetness and graces that God sent. 

As to my outward life, 
     the change was visible; 

for our Lord gave me courage 
     to go through with certain things, 
                   of which those who knew me 
                   and even those in the community
        said that they seemed to them extreme;

  
and, indeed, 
     compared with what 
         I had been accustomed to do, 
     they were extreme: 
    people, therefore, 
       had reason to say so. 

Yet, in those things 
        which were of obligation,
    considering 
           the habit I wore, and 
           the profession I had made, 
       I was still deficient. 

By resisting the sweetness and joys 
          which God sent me,
   I gained this,
         that His Majesty taught me Himself; 

   for, previously
           I used to think that,
   in order to obtain sweetness in prayer, 
           it was necessary for me 
             - to hide myself in secret places, 
               and so I scarcely dared to stir. 

    Afterwards, I saw how little 
         that was to the purpose; 

    for the more I tried to distract myself, 
          the more our Lord poured over me 
                that sweetness and joy 
          which seemed to me 
                to be flowing around me, 
          so that I could not in any way 
                escape from it: 
          and so it was. 

      I was so careful about this resistance, 
           that it was a pain to me. 

     But our Lord was more careful 
         to show His mercies, and 
      during those two months 
         to reveal Himself more than before, 
      so that I might the better comprehend 
         that it was no longer in my power 
                   to resist Him.

2. I began 
  - with a renewed love 
         of the most Sacred Humanity;
  - my prayer began to be solid, 
           like a house, 
      the foundations of which are strong; and
  - I was inclined to practise greater penance,  
           having been negligent in this matter
      hitherto because of my great infirmities. 

The holy man who heard my confession
        (*This and the Peers translation 
           indicates Fr Juan de Padranos
          by  foot note. )
 told me 
      - that certain penances 
                would not hurt me and
      - that God perhaps 
                sent me so much sickness 
           because I did no penance

           His Majesty would therefore 
               impose it Himself

   He ordered me to practise 
        certain acts of mortification 
      not very pleasant for me. [349] 
    I did so, because I felt 
      that our Lord was 
       -- enjoining it all, and 
       -- giving him grace to command me 
                in such a way 
            as to make me obedient unto him.

3. My soul was now sensitive 
         to every offence 
              I committed against God,
        however slight it might be;
      so much so, that
         if I had any superfluity about me, 
           I could not recollect myself in prayer 
         till I had got rid of it.

 I prayed earnestly 
     that our Lord 
        - would hold me by the hand, and 
        - not suffer me to fall again, 
    now that I was under the direction 
          of His servants. 

  I thought 
      - that would be a great evil, and 
      - that they would lose their credit
          through me.



4. At this time, Father Francis, 
          ( St. Francis de Borja )
       who was Duke of Gandia, [350] 
          came here; 
    he had left all he possessed 
           some years before, and 
       had entered the Society of  Jesus. 

My confessor, and the nobleman 
      of whom I spoke before, [351]
             (*Fr. Gaspar Daza  and 
               Don Francisco de Salcedo )
            
             (*The ICS  version footnotes   
               say Fr. Diego de Cetina S.J.)
     contrived that he 
            (St. Francis de Borja)
        should visit me, 
    in order that I might 
        speak to him, and
        give him an account 
                of my way of prayer; 
     for they knew him to be greatly favoured 
          and comforted of God: 
      he had given up much, 
           and was rewarded for it
      even in this life. 

When he (St. Francis de Borja)
   had heard me,  
 he said to me 

      - that it was the work of the Spirit of God, 
             [352] and 
      - that he thought it was not right now 
             to prolong that resistance; 
      - that hitherto it had been safe enough,
      - only, I should always begin my prayer 
             by meditating on some part 
                  of the Passion and
      - that if our Lord should then 
             raise up my spirit, 
                  I should make no resistance, 
             but suffer His Majesty to raise it upwards, 
                  I myself not seeking it. 

 He gave both medicine and advice, 
   as one who had 
       made great progress himself

   for experience is very important 
       in these matters. 

He said 
   - that further resistance 
       would be a mistake.
I was exceedingly consoled; 
    so, too,was the nobleman, 
       rejoiced greatly when he was told
    that it was the work of God. 

    He always helped me and 
       gave me advice according to his power,
    and that power was great.

5. At this time, they changed 
       my confessor's residence. 

I felt it very much,
   for I thought 
    - I should go back to my wickedness, and
    - that it was not possible to find another 
           such as he. 
My soul was, as it were, 
           in a desert,
     most sorrowful and afraid. 

I knew not what to do with myself. 

One of my kinswomen contrived 
   to get me into her house, and 

I contrived at once 
   to find another confessor, [353] 
       in the Society of Jesus. 

It pleased our Lord
     that I should commence a friendship 
             with a noble lady, [354] 
     a widow, much given to prayer, 
             (Dona Guiomar)
            who had much to do with the Fathers. 

She made her own confessor [355] 
            (Fr. Baltasar Alvarez, 
              the confessor of Dona Guiomar)
     hear me, and 
  I remained in her house some days. 
     She lived near, and 
   
I delighted in the many conferences
     I had with the Fathers; 
    for merely by observing the holiness 
        of their way of life, 
    I felt that my soul profited exceedingly.

6. This Father began by putting me 
       in the way of greater perfection. 

He used to say to me, 
   - that I ought to leave nothing undone 
     that I might be wholly pleasing unto God. 

He was, however, very prudent 
          and very gentle at the same time; 
for my soul was 
         not at all strong, 
         but rather very weak
    especially as to giving up 
          certain friendships, 
          though I did not offend God by them: 
          there was much natural affection
                  in them, and 
           I thought it would be an act 
                  of ingratitude 
             if I broke them off. 
And so, as I did not offend God, 
    I asked him if I must be ungrateful. 

He told me to 
        - lay the matter 
                   before God 
              for a few days, and 
        - recite the hymn, "Veni, Creator," 
   that God might enlighten me
              as to the better course. 

One day, 
   having prayed for some time, and 
   implored our Lord to help me 
             to please Him in all things, 
       I began the hymn; 

   and as I was saying it, 
       I fell into a trance
                 so suddenly, 
       that I was, as it were,
             carried out of myself

       I could have no doubt about it, 
            for it was most plain.

7. This was the first time 
         that our Lord bestowed on me 
      the grace of  ecstasy

I heard these words: 
    "I will not have thee converse 
                 with men, 
         but with angels." 

This made me wonder very much; 
   for the commotion of my spirit
          was great, and 
  these words were uttered 
         in the very depth of my soul. 

They made me afraid, though, 
      on the other hand, 
  they gave me great comfort...
      which  remained with me

           when I had lost the fear, 
                caused, I believe, by
           the strangeness of the visitation... 
      
8. Those words have been fulfilled; 
    for I have never been able 
          - to form friendship with, 
          - nor have any comfort in, 
          - nor any particular love for, 
               any persons whatever 
          except those 
              who, as I believe, love God, and 
              who strive to serve Him. 

      It has not been in my power to do it. 

   It is nothing to me 
       that they are my kindred, or my friends, 
   if I do not know them to be 
            lovers of God, 
            or persons given to prayer. 

  It is to me a painful cross 
      to converse with any one. 

 This is the truth, 
          so far as I can judge. [356] 

From that day forth, 
    I have had courage so great
         as to leave all things for God


    who in one moment
                  and it seems to me, 
                  but a moment 
         was pleased to change His servant
                  into another person

   Accordingly, there was no necessity 
         for laying further commands upon me 
                  in this matter. 

When my confessor saw 
         how much I clung to these friendships, 
 he did not venture to bid me distinctly 
         to give them up.

He must have waited 
     till our Lord did the work
 as He did Himself. 

Nor did I think myself that I could succeed;   
     for I had tried before
and the pain it gave me was so great 
     that I abandoned the attempt, 
on the ground that there was 
      nothing unseemly in those attachments.

 Now our Lord 
       set me at liberty, and 
       gave me strength also to use it.



9. So I told my confessor of it, 
       and gave up everything, 
    according to his advice. 

It did a great deal of good 
     to those with whom I used to converse,
  to see my determination. 

God be blessed for ever! 
Who in one moment set me free, 

   while I had been for many years 
          making many efforts
   and had never succeeded, 
          very often also doing such violence 
                 to myself 
            as injured my health; 

    but, as it was done by Him 
       Who is almighty, and 
    the true Lord of all, 
        it gave me no pain whatever.

_________________________________

[349] The Saint now treated her body 
           with extreme severity, 
           disciplining herself even unto blood 
           (Reforma, vol. i. lib. i. c. xx. § 4).

[350] St. Francis de Borja came to Avila,
           where St. Teresa lived, in 1557
             (De la Fuente). 
          This passage must have been written
           after the foundation of St. Joseph, 
          for it was not in the first Life, 
           as the Saint says, [287]
           ch. 10 § 11, 
           that he kept secret the names of 
             herself and all others.

[351] [288] Ch. 23. § 6.


[352] See [289]Relation, viii. § 6.


[353] Who he was is not certainly known. 
The Bollandists decline to give an opinion: 
but F. Bouix thinks it was 
    Fr. Ferdinand Alvarez, 
     who became her confessor on the removal 
         of F. Juan de Padranos, and 
     that it was to him she confessed 
        till she placed herself 
            under the direction of 
       Fr. Baltasar Alvarez, 
      the confessor of Dona Guiomar, 
        as it is stated in the next paragraph, 
      unless the confessor there mentioned 
             was Fr. Ferdinand.


[354] Dona Guiomar de Ulloa. 
           See below, [290]ch. 32 § 13.


[355] If this confessor was 
             Fr. Baltasar Alvarez, 
           the Saint, F. Bouix observes, 
               passes rapidly over the history 
                  of the year 1557, and 
            the greater part, perhaps, of 1558; 
          for F. Baltasar was ordained priest
              only in the latter year.


[356] See [291]Relation, i. § 6.

______________________