Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Monday, October 25, 2010

Chapter 28 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila

  The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus

  The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,
of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel

       CHAPTER  28

She treats of 
- the great favours God showed her, and 
- how He appeared to her for the first time; 


She explains 
- what an imaginary vision is, and 
- speaks of the powerful effects 
      it leaves and 
- the signs whether it is from God. 
This chapter is most profitable and noteworthy.


-  Visions of the Sacred Humanity
     and of the Glorified Bodies. 
- Imaginary Visions
  Great Fruits Thereof When They Come from God.
 _______________________


      Topics/ Questions
          to keep in mind
         as we read along:


1). St Teresa talked about  types of visions.
      What were they  ?
        [ Life: Ch. 28; #2, 4, 5, 12, 14  ]


2). How did St. Teresa describe the 
      her various  responses 
        to her imaginary visions?
          [ Life: Ch. 28; #2, 3, 6, 7, 14, 19, 22 ]


3). How does St. Teresa explain that
         an imaginary vision, 
      seen "only with the eyes of the soul", 
          is  not  a product of  the
             human imagination ?
              [ Life: Ch. 28; #1, 7, 8, 11, 
                     12, 13, 14, 16, 17  ]   


4). What does St. Teresa say about 
        the risk or lack of risks
       of the Imaginative vision?
               [ Life: Ch. 28; # 15, 16]


5).  How did St. Teresa know that her 
          "Imaginative visions" 
       were not a deception of the devil?
                [ Life: Ch. 28; # 19 ]


6). Why did St. Teresa describe in detail 
            the trials and distress which 
       she experienced from the response
            of others to   reports 
        of her experience in prayer?
          [ Life: Ch. 28; # 10, 24   ]
___________________________


         Chapter 28


1. I now resume our subject. 
    I spent some days, not many, 
           with that vision [405] 
       continually before me. 


     It did me so much good, 
         that I never ceased to pray. 


Even when I did cease, 
   I contrived that it should be 
      in such a way as that 
   I should not displease Him 
    whom I saw so clearly present
  an eye-witness of my acts


And though I was occasionally afraid
   because so much was said to me 
       about delusions
   that fear lasted not long, 
       because our Lord reassured me.


2. It pleased our Lord, 
      one day that I was in prayer, 
  to show me His Hands,
      and His Hands only


The beauty of them was so great, 
   that no language can describe it. 


This put me in great fear; 
   for everything that is strange, 
          in the beginning 
          of any new grace from God, 
     makes me very much afraid. 


A few days later, I saw His divine Face
     and I was utterly entranced. 


I could not understand 
    why our Lord showed Himself 
          in this way, 
     seeing that, afterwards,
   He granted me the grace 
          of seeing His whole Person


Later on, I understood
that His Majesty was dealing with me 
       according to the weakness 
              of my nature.


May He be blessed for ever! 


A glory so great was  
  more than one so base and wicked 
     could bear; 
and our merciful Lord, 
  knowing this, 
     ordered it in this way.


3. You will think, my father, 
   that it required no great courage 
        to look upon Hands and Face 
            so beautiful. 


But so beautiful are glorified bodies, 
     that the glory which surrounds them 
  renders those, 
              --who see  that which is 
                  so supernatural beautiful--,  
      beside themselves. 







But there is such beauty
    about glorified bodies
that the glory which illumines them 
    throws all,
       who look upon
    such supernatural loveliness,
        into confusion. 

        - Peers translation




It was so with me: 
  I was in such great fear, trouble, and 
        perplexity at the sight. 


Afterwards there ensued 
      a sense of safety and certainty, 
    together with other results, 
 so that all fear passed
      immediately away. [406]


4. On one of the feasts of St. Paul, [407] 
       when I was at Mass, 
     there stood before me 
       the most Sacred Humanity, [408] 
    as painters represent Him 
        after the resurrection
    in great beauty and majesty, 


   as I particularly described it to you, 
            my father, 
      when you had insisted on it. 


    It was painful enough 
        to  have to write about it, 
    for I could not describe it 
       without doing great violence 
           to myself. 


    But I described it as well as I could, 
       and there is no reason 
    why I should now recur to it. 


     One thing, however, I have to say: 


     if in heaven itself 
       there were nothing else 
           to delight our eyes 
     but the great beauty 
           of glorified bodies,
      that would be an excessive bliss,   
           particularly the vision 
      of the Humanity of Jesus Christ 
           our Lord. 


If here below, 
where His Majesty shows Himself to us 
        according to the measure 
  which our wretchedness can bear,
        it is so great, 
what must it be there, 
       where the fruition of it is complete!


5. This vision, though imaginary, 
     I never saw with my bodily eyes
        nor, indeed, any other, 
    but only with the eyes of the soul


    Those who understand these things 
        better than I do, say that 
   - the intellectual vision is 
        more perfect than this; and 


  - this, the imaginary vision
      much more perfect than those visions
     which are seen by the bodily eyes. 


   The latter kind of visions, they say,
       is the lowest; 
   and it is by these 
   that the devil can most delude us.[409]


 I did not know it then; 
    for I wished, 
  when this grace had been granted me, 
     that it had been so in such a way 
   that I could see it with my bodily eyes, 
     in order that my confessor 
           might not say to me 
      that I indulged in fancies.


6. After the vision was over, 
     it happened 
         that I too imagined 
               --the thought came at once--
         (that) I had fancied these things; 


          so I was distressed, 
       because I had spoken of them 
          to my confessor, 
       thinking that I might have been 
         deceiving him. 


There was another lamentation: 


   I went to my confessor, 
      and told him of my doubts. 


   He would ask me 
      whether I told him the truth 
          so far as I knew it;
      or, if not, 
           had I intended to deceive him? 


   I would reply, 
      that I told the truth; 


      for, to the best of my belief, 
           I did not lie, 
      nor did I mean anything
           of the kind; 


      neither would I tell a lie 
           for the whole world. [410] 


    This he knew well enough; 
           and, accordingly, he contrived 
                 to quiet me; 


   and I felt so much the going to him 
     with these doubts, 
   that I cannot tell 
      how Satan could have put it 
           into my head 
    that I invented those things 
      for the purpose of tormenting myself.


7. But our Lord made such haste 
        to bestow this grace upon me, and 
        to declare the reality of it, 
      that all doubts of the vision 
             being a fancy on my part
        were quickly taken away, 


        and ever since I see most clearly
             how silly I was.


     For if I were to spend many years 
        in devising how to picture to myself
             anything so beautiful, 
        I should never be able, 
            nor even know how to do it
        for it is beyond the reach 
            of any possible imagination 
                    here below:


         the whiteness and brilliancy alone 
             are inconceivable. 


         It is not a brilliancy which dazzles, 
             but a delicate whiteness 
                    and a brilliancy infused, 
         furnishing the most excessive 
            delight  to the eyes, 
          never wearied thereby, 
          nor by the visible brightness 
          which enables us 
                 to see a beauty so divine. 


         It is a light 
            so different 
                  from any light here below, 
            that the very brightness of the sun
                        we see, 
                   in comparison with 
                         the brightness and light 
                   before our eyes, 
            seems to be something 
                   so obscure, 
            that no one would ever wish 
                    to open his eyes again.


8. It is like most pellucid water 
         running in a bed of crystal, 
         reflecting the rays of the sun
     compared with most muddy water 
               on a cloudy day, 
         flowing on the surface of the earth. 


     Not that there is anything like the sun 
         present here, 
      nor is the light like that of the sun: 


      this light seems to be natural;
           and, in comparison with it, 
      every other light is 
            something artificial. 


     It is a light which knows no night


      but rather, 
            as it is always light, 
         nothing ever disturbs it. 


    In short, it is such 
      that no man, 
         however gifted he may be, 
     can ever, 
         in the whole course of his life, 
      arrive at any imagination 
         of what it is. 


     God puts it before us so 
          instantaneously, 
      that we could not open our eyes 
          in time to see it, 
      if it were necessary for us 
           to open them at all.


    But whether our eyes be open or shut, 
         it makes no difference whatever; 
    for when our Lord wills
         we must see it, 
    whether we will or not. 


    No distraction can shut it out, 
     no power can resist it, 


     nor can we attain to it 
        by any diligence or efforts
              of our own


    I know this by experience well, 
        as I shall show you.


9. That which I wish now to speak of 
    is the manner in which 
        our Lord manifests Himself 
           in these visions. 


I do not mean that I am going to explain
    how it is that 
      - a light so strong can enter
                  the interior sense, or
      - so distinct an image ( can enter )
                  the understanding, 
   so as to seem to be really there; 


  for this must be work for learned men. 


Our Lord has not been pleased 
   to let me understand how it is. 


I am so ignorant myself, and 
         so dull of understanding,
   that, although people have very much 
         wished to explain it to me, 
     I have never been able to 
          how it can be.


10. This is the truth: 
  though you, my father,  may think 
 that I have a quick understanding, 
      it is not so; 
for I have found out, in many ways, 
   that my understanding can take in only,
       as they say, 
      what is given to it to eat.


Sometimes my confessor used to be 
      amazed at my ignorance: 
and he never explained to me 
    nor, indeed, did I desire to understand 
              how God did this,
    nor how it could be. 
    Nor did I ever ask; 
        though, as I have said, [411] 
    I had converse for many years 
         with men of great learning. 


    But I did ask them 
      if  this or that were a sin or not: 


as for everything else, 
  the thought that God did it all 
      was enough for me


I saw there was no reason to be afraid
   but great reason to praise Him. 


On the other hand, 
  difficulties increase my devotion; and 
       the greater the difficulty 
       the greater the increase.


11. I will therefore relate 
    what my experience has shown me; 
but how our Lord brought it about, 
   you, my father, 
         will explain better than I can, and
          make clear all that is obscure, and 
              beyond my skill to explain. 


Now and then it seemed to me 
        that what I saw was an image;
 but most frequently
        it was not so. 


I thought it was Christ Himself, 
    judging by the brightness 
 in which He was pleased 
    to show Himself. 


Sometimes the vision was so indistinct, 
    that I thought it was an image; 
but still not like a picture, 
    however well painted 
and I have seen many good pictures. 


It would be absurd to suppose
    that the one bears any resemblance 
        whatever to the other, 
   for they differ as a living person 
                 differs from his portrait,   
       which, however well drawn, 
                 cannot be lifelike, 
    for it is plain that it is a dead thing. 


But let this pass,
though to the purpose, and literally true.


12. I do not say this 
           by way of comparison, 
    for comparisons are never exact,


but because it is the truth itself, 
  as there is the same difference here
    that there is between 
            a living subject and 
            the portrait thereof, 
         neither more nor less: 


for if what I saw was an image, 
      it was a living image,
          not a dead man, 
      but the living Christ


 and He makes me see 
   that He is God and man,  
   not as He was in the sepulchre, 
      but as He was 
   when He had gone forth from it, 
       risen from the dead


He comes at times in majesty so great, 
    that no one can have any doub
 that it is our Lord Himself, 
    especially after Communion: 


    we know that He is then present, 
          for faith says so. 


He shows Himself so clearly 
     to be the Lord 
         of that little dwelling-place, 
    that the soul seems to be 
          dissolved and 
           lost in Christ


O my Jesus, 
   who can describe the majesty 
        wherein Thou showest Thyself! 


How utterly Thou art the Lord 
      of  the whole world, and 
      of heaven, and 
      of a thousand other and innumerable
              worlds and heavens, 
       the creation of which 
              is possible to Thee! 


The soul understands by that majesty 
      wherein Thou showest Thyself 
  that it is nothing for Thee 
      to be Lord of all this.


13. Here it is plain, O my Jesus,
   how slight is the power 
           of all the devils
   in comparison with Thine, 


   and how he 
            who is pleasing unto Thee 
      is able to tread all hell under his feet. 


  Here we see 
       why the devils trembled 
                 when Thou didst go 
                  down to Limbus, and 
        why they might have longed 
        for a thousand hells still lower, 
  that they might escape 
       from Thy terrible Majesty.


 I see that it is Thy will 
(that) the soul should feel
     the greatness of Thy Majesty, and 
     the power of Thy most 
            Sacred Humanity, 
       united with Thy Divinity. 


Here, too, we see 
   what the day of judgment will be,   
   when we shall behold the King 
        in His Majesty, and 
        in the rigour of His justice 
              against the wicked. 


Here we learn true humility
  imprinted in the soul 
     by the sight of its own wretchedness,
     of which now it cannot be ignorant. 


Here, also, is 
       confusion of face, and
       true repentance for sins


   for though the soul sees 
     that our Lord shows 
    how He loves it


   yet it knows not where to go, 
      and so is utterly dissolved.


14. My meaning is, 
   that so exceedingly great 
      is the power of this vision,
    when our Lord shows the soul 
      much of His grandeur and majesty, 
     that it is impossible, in my opinion, 
        for any soul to endure it, 
     if our Lord did not succour it 
        in a most supernatural way, 
     by throwing it 
        into a trance or ecstasy, 


     whereby the vision 
               of the divine presence 
        is lost in the fruition thereof. 


It is true 
   that afterwards the vision is forgotten;
but there remains so deep an impression
      of the majesty and beauty of God, 
   that it is impossible to forget it, 


      except when our Lord is pleased 
    that the soul should suffer 
      from aridity and desolation, 
    of which I shall speak hereafter; [412] 
  for then it seems to forget God Himself.   

The soul is itself no longer,
     it is always inebriated;
  it seems as if a living love of God
    of the highest kind,
  made a new beginning within it


for though the former vision,   
              ( intellectual  vision )
     which I said represented God 
   without any likeness of Him, [413] 
        is of a higher kind,


yet because of our weakness, 
  in order 
     that the remembrance of the vision 
             may last, and 
     that our thoughts may be 
             well occupied,
   it is a great matter that a presence 
      so divine should remain and abide 
             in our imagination


These two kinds of visions 
    come almost always together, 
and they do so come; 
    for we behold the excellency 
         and beauty and glory 
    of the most Holy Humanity 
         with the eyes of the soul.


 And in the other way I have spoken of, 
    that of  intellectual vision
 we learn how He 
         is God, 
         is mighty, 
         can do all things,
         commands all things, 
         governs all things, and 
         fills all things with His love.


15. This vision is 
          to be esteemed very highly; 
     nor is there, in my opinion,
          any risk in it, 
     because the fruits of it show 
          that the devil has no power here. 


I think he tried three or four times 
   to represent our Lord to me, 
       in this way, 
   by a false image of Him. 


He takes the appearance of flesh, 
   but he cannot counterfeit the glory 
      which it has 
   when the vision is from God. 


Satan makes his representations 
   in order to undo the true vision 
     which the soul has had: 
but the soul 
        resists instinctively; 
        is troubled, disgusted, and restless; 
  it loses that devotion and joy 
        (which) it previously had, 
         and cannot pray at all. 


In the beginning, it so happened to me 
     three or four times. 


These satanic visions 
    are very different things; 
and even he who shall have attained
    to the prayer of quiet only 
will, I believe, detect them 
    by those results of them 
         which I described 
   when I was speaking of locutions.[414]


They are most easily recognised; 
    and if a soul consents not 
         to its own delusion, 
    I do not think that Satan 
        will be able to deceive it, 
     provided it walks in 
         humility and 
         singleness of heart


He, who shall have had the true vision, 
       coming from God, 
  detects the false visions at once; 


       for, though they begin 
           with a certain sweetness and joy, 
       the soul rejects them of itself; 


       and the joy 
           which Satan ministers  
        must be, I think, very different:
        It shows no traces 
            of pure and holy love: 
    Satan very quickly betrays himself.


16. Thus, then, as I believe, 
  Satan can do no harm to anyone 
      who has had experience 
            of these things; 


   for it is the most impossible 
        of all impossible things 
   that all this may be the work 
        of the imagination


  There is no ground whatever 
         for the supposition; 


  for the very beauty and whiteness 
    of one of our Lord's Hands [415] 
  are beyond our imagination altogether. 


How is it 
   that we see present before us, 
         in a moment, 
    what we do not remember, 
    what we have never thought of, 
         and, moreover, 
    what, in a long space of time, 
         the imagination could not compass, 
   because, as I have just said, [416] 
       it far transcends anything 
            we can comprehend in this life? 


This, then, is not possible. 


Whether we have any power 
     in the matter 
  or not 
    will appear by what I am now 
              going to say.


17. If the vision were  the work 
     of a man's own understanding, 
  setting aside that such a vision would
     not accomplish the great 
          of the true one,
     nor, indeed, any at all, 


         it would be as the act of one 
            who tries to go to sleep, and
         yet continues awake, 
             because sleep has not come.


        He longs for it,
              because of some necessity 
                 or weakness in his head: 
              and so he lulls himself to sleep, 
              and makes efforts to procure it, 
              and  now and then 
                  thinks he has succeeded; 
              but, if the sleep be not real, 
                it will not support him, 
                nor supply strength to his head:


         on the contrary, 
              his head will very often 
                 be the worse for it.  


  So will it be here, in a measure; 
    the soul will be dissipated, 
        neither sustained 
        nor strengthened; 


    on the contrary, 
        it will be wearied and disgusted. 


But, in the true vision,
    the riches which abide in the soul 
        cannot be described; 
    even the body 
        receives health and comfort.


18. I urged this argument, among others,
    when they told me 
          that my visions came 
             from the evil one, and 
          that I imagined them myself, 


    and it was very often,
    and ( I )  made use 
             of certain illustrations, 
        as well as I could, and 
        as our Lord suggested to me. 


    But all was to little purpose; 


    for as there were most holy persons 
         in the place, 
      in comparison with 
        whom I was a mass of perdition, 
        whom God did not lead by this way,
             they were at once 
                   filled with fear; 
             they thought it all came 
                   through my sins. 


      And so my state 
          was talked about, and 
          came to the knowledge of many; 
      though I had spoken of it 
           to no one, except my confessor, or 
           to those to whom 
                 he commanded [417] me 
                    to speak of it.


19. I said to them once, 
 If they, who thus speak of my state, 
      were to tell me
    that a person with 
      whom I had just conversed, and 
      whom I knew well, 
           was not that person, 
    but 
       that I was deluding myself, and 
       that they knew it, 
  I should certainly trust them 
       rather than my own eyes. 


But 
   if that person left with me 
       certain jewels,  and 
   if, possessing none previously, 
       I held the jewels in my hand 
          as pledges of a great love, and 
   if I were now rich, 
       instead of poor as before, 
 I should not be able to believe this 
       that they said, 
    though I might wish it. 


These jewels,
    I could now show them, 
for all who knew me saw clearly 
    that my soul was changed
 and so my confessor said; 


    for the difference 
           was very great in every way 
            not a pretence, 
            but such as all might
                 most clearly observe. 


    As I was formerly so wicked
            I said, I could not believe 
     that Satan, if he 
            wished to deceive me and 
             take me down to hell,
        would have recourse to means 
            so adverse to his purpose 
         as this, of
             rooting out my faults, 
             implanting virtues 
                 and spiritual strength


         for I saw clearly 
             that I had become at once 
                      another person 
             through the instrumentality 
                     of these visions.


20. My confessor, 
  who was, 
                  as I said before, [418] 
       one of the fathers 
           of the Society of Jesus, and 
       a really holy man, 
           answered them in the same way,
           so I learnt afterwards. 


He was a most discreet man, 
    and of great humility; 


but this great humility of his
   brought me into serious trouble: 


for, though he was a man 
        much given to prayer, and 
        (much) learned, 
     he never trusted his own judgment,
 because our Lord was not leading him 
     by this way. 




He had, therefore, much to suffer 
       on my account, in many ways. 


I knew they used to say to him 
   that he must be 
          on his guard against me,
   lest Satan should delude him 
          through a belief 
   in anything I might say to him. 


   They gave instances of others 
          who were deluded. [419] 


All this distressed me. 
I began to be afraid
  ( that) I should find no one 
       to hear my confession, [420] and 
    that all would avoid me. 
I did nothing but weep.


21. It was a providence of God 
that he was willing to 
       stand by me and
       hear my confession. 


But he was so great a servant of God,     
  that he would have exposed himself 
       to anything for His sake. 


   So he told me that
     if I did not offend God, 
         nor swerve from the instructions 
            he gave me, 
         there was no fear 
           (that) I should be deserted by him.


     He encouraged me always, 
          and quieted me. 
     He bade me never to conceal 
          anything from him; 
      and I never did. [421] 


      He used to say that, 
          so long as I did this, 
       the devil, if it were the devil, 
          could not hurt me; 


       on the contrary,  out of that evil 
          which Satan wished to do me, 
        our Lord would bring forth good. 


       He laboured with all his might
           to make me perfect.
       As I was very much afraid myself, 
             I obeyed him in everything, 
                 though imperfectly. 


       He had much to suffer 
            on my account 
        during three years 
            of trouble and more, 
        because he heard my confession 
             all that time; 


        for in the great persecutions
             that fell upon me, 
        and the many harsh judgments 
             of me
           which our Lord permitted,
             many of which I did not deserve,
        everything was carried to him, and 
         he was found fault with 
              because of me, 
         he being all the while 
               utterly blameless.


22. If he had not been so holy a man, and 
       if our Lord had not been with him,
    it would have been impossible for him 
        to bear so much; 


    for he had to answer those 
        who regarded me 
             as one going to destruction; 


    and they would not believe 
          what he said to them. 


    On the other hand, 
          he had to 
               quiet me, and
               relieve me of my fears; 


          when my fears increased, 
               he had again to reassure me; 


           for, after every vision 
               which was strange to me, 
           our Lord permitted me
                to remain in great fear. 


      All this was the result 
           of my being then, and 
           of having been, 
        a sinner. 


       He used to console me 
           out of his great compassion;
       and, if he had trusted 
            to his own convictions,
      I should not have had 
            so much to suffer; 
      for God revealed the whole truth
            to him. 
      I believe that he received this light 
            from the Blessed Sacrament.


23. Those servants of God, 
        who were not satisfied, 
   had many conversations with me.[422] 


As I spoke to them carelessly, 
   so they misunderstood my meaning 
      in many things. 


I had a great regard for one of them; 
   for my soul owed him 
      more than I can tell. 


      He was a most holy man, 
          and I felt it most acutely 
      when I saw 
          that he did not understand me. 


      He had a great desire 
         for my improvement,
      and hoped our Lord 
         would enlighten me. 


      So, then, because I spoke, 
          as I was saying, 
      without careful consideration, 
          they looked upon me 
         as deficient in humility


       and when they detected 
           any of my faults --
       they might have detected many--
           they condemned me at once. 


       They used to put certain questions 
            to me,
        which I answered 
            simply and carelessly. 


        Then they concluded forthwith 
           that I wished to teach them, and 
           that I considered myself 
                to be a learned woman.


       All this was carried to my confessor,
           for certainly they desired 
                my amendment  and 
           so he would reprimand me. 


       This lasted some time, 
        and I was distressed on many sides; 
        but, with the graces 
            which our Lord gave me, 
         I bore it all.


24. I relate this 
in order that people may see 
      what a great trial it is 
               not to find any one 
       who knows this way of the spirit 
               by experience




If our Lord had not dealt so favourably 
    with me, 
I know not 
   what would have become of me. 


There were some things 
    that were enough 
  to take away my reason; 


and now and then 
  I was reduced to such straits
 that I could do nothing 
  but lift up my eyes to our Lord. [423] 


The contradiction of good people, 
   which a wretched woman, 
           weak, wicked, and timid as I am, 
    must bear with, 
seems to be nothing 
    when thus described; 


but I, who in the course of my life 
    passed through very great trials, 
found this one of the heaviest. [424]


25. May our Lord grant 
   that I may have pleased His Majesty 
      a little herein;
for I am sure that they pleased Him 
   who condemned and rebuked me, 
and that it was all for my great good.


____________________


            FootNotes:


[405] [328]Ch. xxvii. § 3.


[406] Philipp. a SS. Trinitate, Theolog. Mystic. 
            par. 2, tr. 3, disc. iv., art. 8: 
"Quamvis in principio visiones a daemone fictae 
aliquam habeant pacem ac dulcedinem, 
in fine tamen confusionum et amaritudinem in anima
relinquunt; cujus contrarium est in divinis visionibus, 
quae  saepe turbant in principio, 
sed semper in fine pacem animae  relinquunt." 


         St. John of the Cross, 
        [329]Spiritual Canticle, st. 14, p.84: 
"In the spiritual passage from the sleep of natural ignorance 
    to the wakefulness of the supernatural understanding, 
which is the beginning of trance or ecstasy, the spiritual
vision then revealed makes the soul fear and tremble."


[407] See [330]ch. xxix. § 4.


[408] "The holy Mother, Teresa of Jesus, 
had these imaginary visions for many years, 
 seeing our Lord continually present before her 
in great beauty, risen from the dead, 
with His wounds and the crown of thorns. 


She had a picture made of Him, which she gave to me, 
and which I gave to Don Fernando de Toledo, Duke of Alva" 
(Jerome Gratian, Union del Alma, cap. 5.
Madrid, 1616).


[409] Anton. a Sp. Sancto, Direct. Mystic. 
             tr. iii. disp. 5, § I, n. 315:
"Visio corporea est infima, visio imaginaria est media, 
visio intellectualis est suprema." N. 322:
 "Apparitio visibilis, cum sit omnium infima, 
est magis exposita illusioni diaboli, 
nisi forte huic visioni corporali visio intellectualis adjungatur, 
ut in apparitione S. Gabrielis archangeli facta Beatae Virgini."


[410] See [331]ch. xxx. § 18.


[411] [332]Ch. xxv. § 18.


[412] [333]Ch. xxx. §§ 9, 10. 
          See St. John of the Cross, 
          [334]Obscure Night, bk. ii. ch. 7.


[413] [335]Ch. xxvii. § 3.


[414] [336]Ch. xxv. § 8.


[415] See [337]§ 2.


[416] [338]§ 7, supra.


[417] See [339]ch. xxiii. § 14.


[418] [340]Ch. xxiv. § 5.


[419] There were in Spain, and elsewhere, 
many women who were hypocrites, or deluded. 
Among others was the prioress of Lisbon, 
afterwards notorious, who deceived 
    Luis of Granada (De la Fuente).


[420] Inner Fortress, vi. 1, § 4.


[421] [341]Ch. xxvi. § 5;
           Inner Fortress, vi. 9, § 7.


[422] See [342]ch. xxv. § 18.


[423] 2 Paralip. xx. 12: 
"Sed cum ignoremus quid agere debeamus, 
hoc solum habemus residui,
 ut oculos nostros dirigamus ad Te."


[424] See [343]ch. xxx. § 6.


                End of Chapter 28