Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Monday, November 8, 2010

Chapter 31 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila

   The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus

   The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,

of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel

    C
HAPTER  31



She speaks of
-  some exterior temptations 
   and apparitions of Satan, and
-  how he ill-treated her.
She mentions, moreover,
-  some very good things by way of advice to persons
   who are walking on the way of perfection.

-  Of Certain Outward Temptations and

-  Appearances of Satan.
-  Of the Sufferings Thereby Occasioned.
-  Counsels for Those Who Go on Unto Perfection.
______________________


    Topics/ Questions
      to keep in mind
    as we read along:


1a). How did St. Teresa respond to
          temptations, interior troubles,
        and apparitions of the devil?
         [Life: Ch.31: # 2,3,4,8,9,10,11,12]


1b).  What benefits of Holy Water
          did she describe ?
              [ Life: Ch.31: # 4, 10 ]


2). What kind of occasion,
         according to St. Teresa,
      would often incite
         a disturbance by the devil?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 6,4,8,9,10 ]


3). How did St. Teresa feel about  
         being persecuted by others?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 13]


4). What did St. Teresa say  regarding
       "being made much" by others                
         and Humility
          [ Life: Ch.31: # 13,14,15,16,17,18]


5). What did St. Teresa say
       "seems good...in the world" ?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 19 ]


6). What did St. Teresa say about
       the striving for perfection ?
          [ Life: Ch.31: # 19,20,25,27 ]


7 ). What did St. Teresa say about
       "those who would fly
         before God gives them wings ?"
             [ Life: Ch.31: #  20, 21 ]


8). What advice or encouragement
         does she provide?
         [Life: Ch.31: # 21,22,23,24,25,
                                  26,27 ]


____________________________


             Chapter 31


1. Now that I have described certain
          temptations and troubles,
             interior and secret,
     of which Satan was the cause,
   I will speak of others
     which he wrought almost in public,
     and in which his presence
             could not be ignored. [462]


2. I was once in an oratory,
   when Satan,
         in an abominable shape,
     appeared on my left hand.


 I looked at his mouth in particular,
     because he spoke,
  and it was horrible.


A huge flame seemed to issue
        out of his body,
    perfectly bright,
        without any shadow.


He spoke in a fearful way,
    and said to me that,
 though I had escaped out of his hands,
    he would yet lay hold of me again.


   I was in great terror,
      made the sign of the cross
            as well as I could,
      and then the form vanished--
   but it reappeared instantly.


  This occurred twice;


   I did not know what to do;


   there was some holy water at hand;
    I took some, and
      threw it in the direction
            of the figure,
     and then Satan never returned.


3. On another occasion,
I was tortured for five hours with
   such terrible pains,
   such inward and outward sufferings,
that it seemed to me
   as if I could not bear them.


Those who were with me
     were frightened;
 they knew not what to do, and
 I could not help myself.


I am in the habit, when
       these pains and
       my bodily suffering
   are most unendurable,
          to make interior acts
             as well as I can,
         imploring our Lord,
             if it be His will,
          to give me patience, and then
          to let me suffer on,
      even to the end of the world.


So, when I found myself
      suffering so cruelly,
  I relieved myself by making
      those acts and resolutions,
    in order that I might be able
      to endure the pain.


It pleased our Lord
      to let me understand
   that it was the work of Satan;


for I saw close beside me
     a most frightful dark little creature,
     gnashing his teeth in despair
  at losing what he attempted to seize.


    When I saw him,
       I laughed,
         and had no fear;
     for there were some (sisters)
        then present,
     who were helpless,
        and knew of no means
     whereby so great a pain
        could be relieved.


My body, head, and arms
        were violently shaken;


I could not help myself:
  but the worst of all
        was the interior pain,
  for I could find no ease in any way.


Nor did I dare to ask for holy water,
   lest those who were with me
        should be afraid, and
        find out what the matter
              really was.


4. I know by frequent experience
      that there is nothing
   which puts the devils to flight
      like holy water.


They run away
     before the sign of the cross also,
but they return immediately:


great, then, must be
     the power of holy water.


As for me, my soul is conscious of a
   special and most distinct consolation
whenever I take it.


Indeed, I feel almost always
     a certain refreshing,
  which I cannot describe,
     together with an inward joy,
   which comforts my whole soul.


This is
   no fancy,
   nor a thing
       which has occurred once only;
  for it has happened very often, and
  I have watched it very carefully.


  I may compare what I feel with that
    which happens to a person
  in great heat, and very thirsty,
     drinking a cup of cold water
      --his whole being is refreshed.

I consider that everything

    ordained by the Church
  is very important;

and I have a joy in reflecting

   that the words of the Church
        are so mighty,
    that they endow water with power,
        so that there shall be
    so great a difference
        between holy water
        and water
            that has never been blessed.


Then, as my pains did not cease,
  I told them,
 if they would not laugh,
  I would ask for some holy water.


They brought me some,
   and sprinkled me with it;
but I was no better.


I then threw some myself
    in the direction of the dark creature,
 when he fled in a moment.


All my sufferings ceased,
  just as if some one
had taken them from me
  with his hand;
only I was wearied,
  as if I had been beaten
with many blows.


It was of great service to me
 to learn that
  if, by our Lord's permission,
    Satan
       - can do so much evil
                 to a soul  and body
           (that is) not in his power,
       - he can do much more
           when he has them
                 in his possession.


It gave me a renewed desire
         to be delivered from a fellowship
             so dangerous.


5. Another time, and not long ago,
the same thing happened to me,
  though it did not last so long,
and I was alone at the moment.


I asked for holy water;
and they
     who came in after the devil
                      had gone away,
           --they were two nuns,
              worthy of all credit, and
              would not tell a lie
                      for anything,--
      perceived a most offensive smell,
            like that of brimstone.


I smelt nothing myself;
but the odour lasted long enough
     to become sensible to them.


6. On another occasion,
I was in choir, when, in a moment,
  I became profoundly recollected.


I went out in order  that the sisters
    might know nothing of it;
yet those who were near heard
    the sound of heavy blows
           where I was,


and I heard voices myself,
    as of persons in consultation,
but I did not hear what they said:
I was so absorbed in prayer
   that I understood nothing,
   neither was I at all afraid.


This took place almost always
   when our Lord was pleased
 that some soul or other,
    persuaded by me,
advanced in the spiritual life.


Certainly,
what I am now about to describe
   happened to me once;
there are witnesses to testify to it,
   particularly my present confessor,
for he saw the account in a letter.


I did not tell him
  from whom the letter came,
but he knew perfectly
   who the person was.


7. There came to me a person
who,
          for two years and a half,
    had been living in mortal sin
          of the most abominable nature
    I ever heard.


    During the whole of that time, he
          neither confessed it
          nor ceased from it;
      and yet he said Mass.


    He confessed his other sins
     but of this one he used to say,
       How can I confess so foul a sin?


    He wished to give it up,
    but he could not prevail on himself
          to do so.


I was very sorry for him, and
it was a great grief to me
    to see God offended in such a way.


I promised him that I
    would pray to God
           for his amendment, and
    get others who were better than I
            to do the same.


I wrote to one person,
and the priest undertook
     to get the letter delivered.


It came to pass
that he made a full confession
     at the first opportunity;
for our Lord God was pleased,
     on account of the prayers
           of those most holy persons
     to whom I had recommended him,
           to have pity on this soul.


I, too, wretched as I am,
    did all I could for the same end.


8. He wrote to me,
    and said that he was so far improved,
that he had not for some days
    repeated his sin;


but he was so tormented
    by the temptation,
that it seemed to him
    as if he were in hell already,
so great were his sufferings.


He asked me to pray to God for him.


I recommended him to my sisters,
   through whose prayers
I must have obtained this mercy
   from our Lord;


    for they took the matter
          greatly to heart;
    and he was a person
          whom no one could find out.


I implored His Majesty
    to put an end to
       these torments and temptations, and
    to let the evil spirits torment me
       instead,
 provided I did not offend our Lord.


Thus it was that for one month
    I was most grievously tormented;


and then it was
    that these two assaults of Satan,
of which I have just spoken, took place.


9. Our Lord was pleased to deliver him
      out of this temptation,
  so I was informed;


for I told him what happened to myself that month.


His soul gained strength, and
he continued free;
he could never give thanks enough
    to our Lord and
    to me

        --as if I had been of any service

           unless it be
           that the belief he had
               that our Lord granted me
                    such graces
           was of some advantage to him.


He said that,
when he saw himself in great straits,
     he would read my letters, and
then the temptation left him.


He was very much astonished
     at my sufferings, and
     at the manner
            of his own deliverance:


even I myself am astonished,
and I would suffer as much
     for many years
  for the deliverance of that soul.

May our Lord be praised for ever!

f
or the prayers of those

     who serve Him
can do great things;

   and I believe the sisters of this house

       do serve Him.


The devils must have been more angry
      with me only
   because I asked them to pray, and
   because our Lord permitted it
      on account of my sins.


At that time, too,
I thought the evil spirits
   would have suffocated me one night,
and when the sisters threw
    much holy water about
I saw a great troop of them rush away
    as if tumbling over a precipice.


These cursed spirits have tormented me
    so often,
and I am now so little afraid of them,--
because I see they cannot stir
    without our Lord's permission,
          --that I should weary
          both you, my father, and myself,
    if I were to speak of these things
          in detail.


10. May this I have written be of use
     to the true servant of God,
who ought to despise these terrors,
which Satan sends only
     to make him afraid!


Let him understand that each time
    we despise those terrors,
        their force is lessened, and
        the soul gains power over them.


There is always
    some great good obtained;
but I will not speak of it,
     that I may not be too diffuse.


I will speak, however,
     of what happened to me once
on the night of All Souls.


I was in an oratory, and,
      having said one Nocturn,
    was saying some very devotional
     prayers at the end of our Breviary,
when Satan put himself on the book
     before me,
to prevent my finishing my prayer.


I made the sign of the cross,
     and he went away.
I then returned to my prayer,
     and he, too, came back;


he did so, I believe, three times,
and I was not able to finish the prayer
     without throwing holy water at him.


I saw certain souls at that moment
    come forth out of purgatory
       --they must have been
          near their deliverance,
    and I thought that Satan might
    in this way have been trying
           to hinder their release.


It is very rarely
    that I saw Satan assume
           a bodily form;


I know of his presence
    through the vision
I have spoken of before, [463]
  the vision wherein no form is seen.


11. I wish also to relate what follows,
for I was greatly alarmed at it:
  on Trinity Sunday,
       in the choir
              of a certain monastery, and
       in a trance,
   I saw a great fight between
       evil spirits and the angels.


I could not make out
    what the vision meant.


In less than a fortnight,
   it was explained clearly enough
      by the dispute
   that took place
     between
           persons given to prayer
     and
           many who were not,
  which did great harm to that house;


for it was a dispute that
    lasted long and
    caused much trouble.


On another occasion,
I saw
  - a great multitude of evil spirits
      round about me, and,
                  at the same time,
  - a great light,
        in which I was enveloped,
     which kept them
        from coming near me.


I understood it to mean
   that God was watching over me,
   that they might not approach me
so as to make me offend Him.


I knew the vision was real
   by what I saw occasionally in myself.


The fact is,
  I know now how little power
        the evil spirits have,
   provided I am not out
        of the grace of God;


I have scarcely any fear of them at all,


for their strength is as nothing,
if they do not find 
 (that) the souls (which) they assail
    give up the contest, and
    become cowards;


it is in this case
  (when the assailed  soul gives up)
     that they (devils) show their power.


12. Now and then,
during the temptations
     I am speaking of,
it seemed to me
    as if all my vanity and weakness
         in times past
    had become alive again within me;
so I had reason enough
    to commit myself
         into the hands of God.


Then I was tormented by the thought
 that, as these things came back
          to my memory,
      I must be utterly
          in the power of Satan,
      until my confessor consoled me;


for I imagined
  that even the first movement
       towards an evil thought
  ought not to have come near one
       who had received from our Lord
   such great graces as I had.


13. At other times,
  I was much tormented
           --and even now I am tormented--
   when I saw people make much of me,
            particularly great people, and
   when they spake well of me.


    I have suffered, and still suffer,
            much in this way.


    I think at once of the life
           of Christ and
           of the Saints,
    and then my life seems
           the reverse of theirs,
    for they received nothing
           but contempt and ill-treatment.


All this makes me afraid;
I dare not lift up my head, and
I wish nobody saw me at all.


It is not thus with me
   when I am persecuted;
then my soul is so conscious
    of strength,


     though the body suffers, and
     though I am in other ways afflicted,
  that I do not know how this can be;
  but so it is,
    --and my soul seems then
           to be a queen in its kingdom,
       having everything under its feet.


14. I had such a thought now and then--
and, indeed, for many days together.
 I regarded it as a sign
           of virtue and
           of humility;
    but I see clearly now
 it was nothing else but a temptation.


A Dominican friar, of great learning,
    showed it to me very plainly.


When I considered that the graces
 which our Lord had bestowed upon me
    might come to the knowledge
            of the public,
    my sufferings became so excessive
            as greatly to disturb my soul.


They went so far,
  that I made up my mind,
while thinking of it,
    that I would
        rather be buried alive
        than have these things known.


And so, when I began
   to be profoundly recollected, or
   to fall into a trance,
      which I could not resist
                even in public,
   I was so ashamed of myself,
       that I would not appear
               where people might see me.


15. Once, when I was
        much distressed at this,
our Lord said to me,
        What was I afraid of  ?
one of two things must happen
         --people would
               either speak ill of me,
               or give glory to Him.


He made me understand by this,
  that those who believed in the truth
       of what was going on in me
   would glorify Him;


and that those who did not
   would condemn me without cause:


in both ways I should be the gainer,


and I was therefore
     not to distress myself. [464]
This made me quite calm, and
 it comforts me whenever I think of it.


16. This temptation
     became so excessive,
that I wished to
     leave the house, and
     take my dower to another monastery,
 where enclosure was more strictly
     observed than in that
            wherein I was at this time.


 I had heard great things
     of that other house,
which was of the same Order as mine;


it was also at a great distance, and
it would have been a great consolation
    to me to live where I was not known;
  but my confessor would never
    let me go.


These fears deprived me
   in a great measure
     of all liberty of spirit;


and I understood afterwards
     that this was not true humility,
  because it disturbed me so much.


And our Lord taught me this truth;
   if I was convinced,
      and certainly persuaded,
   that all that was good in me  
      came wholly and only from God,


and if it did not distress me
   to hear the praises of others,
       --yea, rather,
      if I was pleased and comforted
      when I saw
         that God was working in them,--
 then neither should I be distressed
      if He showed forth His works in me.


17. I fell, too, into another extreme.

I begged of God, and

   made it a particular subject of prayer,
that it might please His Majesty,
   - whenever any one
          saw any good in me
   - that such a one might also
          become acquainted with my sins,
     in order that he might see that
          His graces were bestowed on me
     without any merit on my part:

     and I always greatly desire this.

My confessor told me not to do it.

But almost to this day,

if I saw that any one
             thought well of me,
  I used
                    in a roundabout way,
                    or any how, as I could,
  to contrive he should know of my sins:
                    [465]
             that seemed to relieve me.


But they have made me
    very scrupulous on this point.


This, it appears to me,
     was not an effect of humility,
but oftentimes the result of temptation.


 It seemed to me
   that I was deceiving everybody--
          though, in truth,
   they deceived themselves,
by thinking that there was
    any good in me [466]


I did not wish to deceive them,
         nor did I ever attempt it,
 only our Lord permitted it
         for some end;


and so, even with my confessors,
I never discussed any of these matters
    if I did not see the necessity of it,
for that would have occasioned
   very considerable scruples.


18. All these
          little fears and
          distresses, and
          semblance of humility,
      I now see clearly
          were mere imperfections,
and the result of my unmortified life;


for a soul left in the hands of God
      cares nothing
            about evil or good report,
if it clearly comprehends,
     when our Lord is pleased
            to bestow upon it His grace,
that it has nothing of its own.


Let it
   - trust the Giver;
        it will know hereafter
            why He reveals His gifts, and
   - prepare itself for persecution,
     which in these times is sure to come,
     when it is our Lord's will
         it should be known of any one
      that He bestows upon him graces
         such as these;


    for a thousand eyes are
         watching that soul,
    while a thousand souls
          of another order
     are observed of none.


In truth,
  there was no little ground for fear, and
  that fear should have been mine:


I was therefore not humble,
   but a coward;
for a soul which God permits to be
   thus seen of men
     may well prepare itself
            to be the world's martyr--
     because, if it will not die
            to the world voluntarily,
     that very world will kill it.


19. Certainly,
I see nothing in the world
   that seems to me good except this,
that it
   - tolerates no faults in good people and
   - helps them to perfection
        by dint of complaints against them.


 I mean, that it requires
   greater courage
             in one not yet perfect
        to walk in the way of perfection
   than to undergo
         an instant martyrdom;


   for perfection is
         not attained to at once,
   unless our Lord grant that grace
         by a special privilege:


 yet the world,
    when it sees any one
         beginning to travel on that road,
     insists on his becoming
         perfect at once,


     and a thousand leagues off
         detects in him a fault,
     which after all may be a virtue.


He who finds fault
   is doing the very same thing,
    --but, in his own case, viciously,--
   and he pronounces it
       to be so wrong in the
        (case of the ) other.


He who aims at perfection, then,
    must neither eat nor sleep,
       --nor, as they say,
          even breathe;  and


    the more men respect such a one,
    the more do they forget
        that he is still in the body; and,


though they may consider him perfect
   he is living on the earth,
           subject to its miseries,
however much he may tread them
   under his feet.


And so, as I have just said,
   great courage is necessary here
for, though the poor soul
    have not yet begun to walk,
the world will have it fly;


and, though its passions
      be not wholly overcome,
  men will have it
      that they must be under restraint,
           even upon trying occasions,
      as those of the Saints are,
               of whom they read,
           after they (the Saints)
               are confirmed in grace.


20. All this is a reason
    for praising God, and also
    for great sorrow of heart,
  because very many go backwards


     who, poor souls, know not
        how to help themselves;


     and I too, I believe,
       would have gone back also,
    if our Lord had not so mercifully
        on His part
        done everything for me.


And until He, of His goodness,
    had done all,


    nothing was done by me,  
         beyond falling and rising again.
    as you, my father,
         may have seen already.


I wish I knew how to explain it,
because many souls, I believe,
     delude themselves in this matter;
 they would fly
     before God gives them wings.


21. I believe I have made this
  comparison on another occasion, [467]

  but it is to the purpose here,

           for I see certain souls
     are very greatly afflicted
           on that ground.

When
these souls begin,  with great

           fervour,
           courage, and
           desire,
      to advance in virtue,
            --some of them,
               at least outwardly,
               giving up all for God,--
when they see in others,
      more advanced than themselves,
             greater fruits of virtue
      given them by our Lord,
           --for we cannot acquire these
              of ourselves,--
when they see in all the books written
           on prayer and
           on contemplation
     an account of
           what we have to do
                 in order to attain thereto,
            but which they cannot
                 accomplish themselves,--
  they lose heart.


For instance, they read
   that we must
        - not be troubled
            when men speak ill of us,
   that we are to be then
        - more pleased
            than when they speak well of us;
   that we must
        - despise our own good name,
        - be detached from our kindred;
              avoid their company, which
                should be wearisome to us,
              unless they (the kindred)
                 be given to prayer;
        - with many other things
              of the same kind.

The disposition to practise this

         must be the gift of God,
                  in my opinion
for it seems to me
         a supernatural good,
contrary to our natural inclinations.


Let them not distress themselves;


let them trust in our Lord:


what they now desire,
   His Majesty will enable them
          to attain to
     by prayer, and
     by doing what they can themselves;


for it is very necessary
     for our weak nature
that we should have great confidence,
that we should
      not be fainthearted,
      nor suppose that,
           if we do our best,
              we shall fail
               to obtain the victory at last.


And as my experience here is large,
   by way of caution,
               I will say, to you, my father,
   do not think
               --though it may seem so--
      that a virtue is acquired
      when we have not tested it
               by its opposing vice:


we must
  always be suspicious of ourselves, and
  never neglient while we live;


(because)
   - for  much evil clings to us
          as I said before, [468]

                                            


"porque mucho se nos pega luego"

"because much sticks to us then"

 "La Vida de la Madre Teresa de Jesús 
       escrita de su misma mano,
   con una aprobación 
       del P. Maestro fr. Domingo Báñez
su confesor y cathedrático de prima en Salamanca".


"The Life of  Mother Teresa of Jesus
written in her same hand
with the approval of Fr  Domingo Banez, her confessor"

Ch. 31 #19                                             



(because)

   - for  much evil clings to us
          as I said before, [468]
    if grace be not given to us fully
          to understand what everything is:
    - and in this life there is nothing
          without great risks.


22. I thought a few years ago,
not only that
     I was detached from my kindred,
but that
     they were a burden to me;

     and certainly it was so,

     for I could not endure
           their conversation.

     An affair of some importance

           had to be settled, and
      I had to remain
           with a sister of mine,
      for whom I had always before
            had a great affection.

      The conversation we had together,

            though she is better than I am,
      did not please me;

      for it could not always be

            on subjects I preferred,
       owing to the difference
            of our conditions
            --she being married.

      I was therefore as much alone

            as I could;
       yet I felt that her troubles
            gave me more trouble
       than did those of my neighbours,
             and even some anxiety.


In short, I found out
    that I was not so detached
       as I thought, and


    that it was necessary for me
       to flee from dangerous occasions,


            in order that the virtue
                  which our Lord had
            begun  to implant in me
                   might grow;


and so, by His help,
    I have striven to do
from that time till now.


23. If our Lord bestows any virtue
    upon us,
we must make much of it, and
    by no means run the risk of losing it;


so it is in those things
   which concern our good name,
and many other matters.


You, my father, must believe
that we are not all of us detached,
    though we think we are;


it is necessary for us
    never to be careless on this point.


If any one
    detects in himself  any tenderness
           about his good name, and
    yet wishes to advance
           in the spiritual life,
let him
    believe me and
    throw this embarrassment
           behind his back,


for it is a chain
    which no file can sever;
only the help of God,
     obtained by
           - prayer and
           - much striving on his part,
     can do it.


It seems to me to be
   a hindrance on the road, and
I am astonished at the harm it does.


I see some persons
    so holy in their works, and
    so great are they,
       as to fill people with wonder.


O my God,
  why is their soul still on the earth ?
  Why has it not arrived
       at the summit of perfection ?
   What does it mean?
   What keeps him back
      who does so much for God?


Oh, there it is!
    --self-respect !
and the worst of it is,
   that these persons will not admit
       that they have it,
merely because Satan now and then
   convinces them
    that they are under an obligation
        to observe it.


24.  Well, then,
let them believe me:
    for the love of our Lord,
let them give heed to the little ant,
   who speaks because it is His pleasure.


If they take not this caterpillar away,
   though it does not hurt the whole tree,
 because some virtues remain,
   the worm will eat into
        every one of them.


Not only is the tree
       not beautiful,
  but it also
       never thrives,
neither does it suffer the others near it
       to thrive;


for the fruit of good example
  which it bears
         is not sound, and
         endures but a short time.


I say it again and again,
  let our self-respect be ever so slight,
it will have the same result
  as the missing of a note on the organ
      when it is played,
       --the whole music is out of tune.


It is a thing which hurts the soul
   exceedingly in every way,
but it is a pestilence
   in the way of prayer.


25. Are we striving
        after union with God ? and


do we wish to follow
      the counsels of Christ,
        --who was loaded with reproaches
            and falsely accused,--


and, at the same time,
    to keep our own reputation and credit
        untouched?


We cannot succeed,
   for these things are inconsistent
        one with another.


Our Lord comes to the soul
  when we
       do violence to ourselves, and
       strive to give up our rights
            in many things.


Some will say,
    I have nothing that I can give up,
    nor have I any opportunity
            of doing so.


I believe
  that our Lord will never suffer any one
who has made
  so good a resolution as this
            to miss so great a blessing.


His Majesty will make
  so many arrangements for him,
whereby he may acquire this virtue,
            --more frequently, perhaps,
               than he will like.


  Let him put his hand to the work.


I speak of the little nothings and trifles
  which I gave up when I began
            --or, at least, of some of them:
      the straws which I said [469]
         I threw into the fire;
      for I am not able to do more.


      All this our Lord accepted:
      may He be blessed for evermore!


26. One of my faults was this:
I had a very imperfect knowledge
     of my Breviary and
     of my duties in choir,
 simply because I
     - was careless and
     - given to vanities; and


     - I knew the other novices
                could have taught me.
       But I never asked them,
       that they might not know
                how little I knew.


      It suggested itself to me at once,
         that I ought to set a good example:
                this is very common.


Now, however,
  that God has opened my eyes a little,
      even when I know a thing,
      but yet am very slightly
          in doubt about it,
                 I ask the children.


I have lost neither honour nor credit
   by it
       --on the contrary,  I believe
          our Lord has been pleased
                 to strengthen my memory.


   My singing of the Office was bad, and
   I felt it much
       if I had not learned
             the part intrusted to me,--
       not because I made mistakes
                 before our Lord,
            which would have been a virtue,
       but because I made them
                 before the many nuns
                   who heard me.


I was so full of my own reputation,
  that I was disturbed,
and therefore did not sing
   what I had to sing
even so well as I might have done.


Afterwards, I ventured,
  when I did not know it very well,
       to say so.


At first, I felt it very much;
but afterwards I found pleasure
    in doing it.


So, when I began to be indifferent
   about its being known
        that I could not sing well,
   it gave me no pain at all,
   and I sang much better.


This miserable self-esteem
   took from me the power of doing
   that which I regarded as an honour,
   for every one regards as honourable
      that which he likes.


27. By trifles such as these,
           which are nothing,
              --and I am altogether
                   nothing myself,
              seeing that this gave me pain,--


      by little and little,
              doing such actions, and


      by such slight performances,
              --they become of worth
                 because done for God,--


          His Majesty helps us on
                 towards greater things;
           and so it happened to me
                 in the matter of humility.


When I saw that all the nuns
           except myself
     were making great progress,
                  --I was always myself
                     good for nothing,--
  I used to fold up their mantles
      when they left the choir.


I looked on myself
  as doing service to angels
       who had been there praising God.


I did so till they
         --I know not how--
  found it out;
and then I was not a little ashamed,
  because my virtue was not
         strong enough to bear
  that they should know of it.


But the shame arose,
   not because I was humble,
   but because I was afraid
       they would laugh at me,
   the matter being so trifling.


28. O Lord, what a shame for me
   to lay bare so much wickedness, and
   to number these grains of sand,
     which yet I did not raise up
         from the ground in Thy service
     without mixing them
         with a thousand meannesses!


The waters of Thy grace were not as yet
      flowing beneath them,
 so as to make them ascend upwards.


O my Creator, oh,
that I had anything worth recounting
     amid so many evil things,
 when I am recounting the great mercies
     I received at Thy hands!


So it is, O my Lord.
I know
   not how my heart
         could have borne it,
   nor how any one who shall read this
         can help having me in abhorrence
    when he sees
         that mercies so great
              had been so ill-requited, and
        that I have not been ashamed
              to speak of these services.


Ah! they are only mine, O my Lord;
but I am ashamed
   I have nothing else to say of myself;


and that
   it is that makes me speak
       of  these wretched beginnings,
   in order
       that he
            who has begun more nobly
                    may have hope


       that our Lord,
            who has made much of mine,
                    will make more of his.


May it please His Majesty
    to give me this grace,
that I may not remain for ever
    at the beginning 


Amen. [470]


________________________


     Foot Notes:


[462] 2 Cor. ii. 11:
  "Non enim ignoramus
    cogitationes ejus."


[463] [371]Ch. xxvii. § 4.


[464] See Inner Fortress,
           vi. ch. iv. § 12.


[465] Way of Perfection,
             ch. lxv. § 2;
          but [372]ch. xxxvi.
            of the previous editions.


[466] See [373]ch. x. § 10.


[467] [374]Ch. xiii. § 3.


[468] [375]Ch. xx. § 38.


[469] [376]Ch. xxx. § 25.


[470] Don Vicente de la Fuente
           thinks the first "Life" ended here;


That which follows was written
under obedience to her confessor,
  F. Garcia of Toledo,
and after the foundation of the monastery
 of St. Joseph, Avila.




           End  of  Chapter  31