Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Friday, November 12, 2010

Chapter 33 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila



   The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus


  The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,
of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel


       CHAPTER  33


 She continues 
- the subject of the foundation of the glorious St. Joseph. 
- How she was commanded to have nothing (further) 
    to do with it, 
- how she abandoned it, 
- also the troubles it brought her and
- how God consoled her in all this.


- The Foundation of the Monastery Hindered. 
- Our Lord Consoles the Saint.
______________________


   Topics/ Questions
     to keep in mind
    as we read along:


1). How did St. Teresa describe the   
         reaction of others in her convent 
       to her wish "to found another 
        (monastery) with stricter enclosure" ?
          [Life: Ch33: # 2]


2). How did St. Teresa respond
        to these reactions?
             [Life: Ch33: # 2]


3). St. Teresa had encountered 
         many trials and obstacles 
       while trying to found a new monastery.

       Despite this, why did she remain

         "exceedingly happy and joyful" ?
           [Life: Ch33: # 3, 4, 5 ]


4). How did St. Teresa describe her
           spiritual relationship 
       with the new rector? 
          (Gaspar de Salazar) 
               [Life: Ch33: # 11, 12]


5). In pursuing the founding 
         of a new  monastery, 
       St. Teresa said she intended 
         to reject an available house 
       because it "was too small".

       What did she say Our Lord

         said to her, regarding this ?
            [Life: Ch33: # 14]


6). What did St. Teresa say 
         regarding St. Claire?
           [Life: Ch33: # 15]


_______________________


           Chapter 33 


1. When the matter was in this state--
      so near its conclusion, 
that on the very next day 
      the papers were to be signed--
then it was that the Father Provincial 
      changed his mind. 


I believe that
 the change was divinely ordered--
      so it appeared afterwards; 


for while so many prayers were made,
    our Lord was 
        perfecting His work and 
        arranging its execution 
             in another way.


When the Provincial refused us, 
    my confessor bade me forthwith 
  to think no more of it, 
    notwithstanding the great 
         trouble and distress 
  which our Lord knows it cost me 
     to bring it to this state.


 When the work was 
     given up and abandoned, 
  people were the more convinced 
     that it was altogether 
 the foolishness of women; 


and the complaints against me 
     were multiplied,
although I had until then 
      this commandment of my Provincial
 to justify me.


2. I was now very much disliked 
    throughout the whole monastery, 
 because I wished to found another
    with stricter enclosure


It was said 
  - I insulted my sisters; 
  - that I could serve God among them 
         as well as elsewhere
     for there were many among them 
         much better than I; 
  - that I did not love the house, and
  - that it would have been better 
      if I had procured greater resources 
         for it than for another. 


Some said I ought to be put in prison; 
  others --but they were not many-- 
     defended me in some degree. 


I saw well enough 
  that they were for the most part right


and now and then 
   I made excuses for myself; 


though, as I could not tell them 
     the chief reason
which was the commandment 
      of our Lord
I knew not what to do, 
     and so was silent.


3. In other respects 
God was most merciful unto me, 
    for all this caused me no uneasiness; 
and I gave up our design 
    with much readiness and joy, 
 as if it cost me nothing. 


No one could believe it, 
not even those men of prayer
   with whom I conversed; 


for they thought 
   I was exceedingly pained and sorry:
even my confessor himself 
   could hardly believe it. 


I had done
           as it seemed to me, 
  all that was in my power


I thought myself obliged 
    to do no more 
than I had done 
    to fulfil our Lord's commandment, 


and so I remained in the house
    where I was, 
 exceedingly happy and joyful;


though, at the same time, 
I was never able 
    to give up my conviction
that the work would be done


I had now no means of doing it, 
nor did I know how or when 
   it would be done; 
but I firmly believed 
    in its accomplishment.


4. I was much distressed at one time
 by a letter 
    which my confessor wrote to me, 
as if I had done anything in the matter 
     contrary to his will. 


Our Lord also must have meant 
  that suffering should not fail me 
there where I should feel it most; 


and so, amid the multitude 
              of my persecutions, 
when, as it seemed to me, 
              consolations should have come 
              from my confessor, 
he told me that I ought to 
              recognise in the result 
  - that all was a dream; 
  - that I ought to lead a new life 
       by ceasing to have anything to do 
              f or the future with it, or
      (by) even to speak of it any more, 
              seeing the scandal 
              it had occasioned. 


He made some further remarks, 
   all of them very painful. 


This was a greater affliction to me 
than all the others together. 


I considered 
 - whether I had done 
       anything myself, and 
 - whether I was to blame for anything 
       that was an offence unto God; 
 - whether 
       all my visions were illusions, 
       all my prayers a delusion, 
       and I, therefore,
             deeply deluded and lost. 


This pressed so heavily upon me, 
       that I was altogether disturbed and 
most grievously distressed. 


But our Lord, 
 who never failed me 
       in all the trials I speak of, 
so frequently consoled  
      and strengthened me
that I need not speak of it here. 


He told me then 
       not to distress myself; 
 that I 
    had pleased God greatly, and 
    had not sinned against Him 
         throughout the whole affair; 
 that I was to do 
    what my confessors required of me, 
and be silent on the subject 
    till the time came to resume it. 


I was so comforted and so happy, 
    that the persecution 
which had befallen me 
    seemed to be as nothing at all.


5. Our Lord now showed me 
what an exceedingly great blessing 
  it is to be tried and persecuted 
      for His sake


for the growth of the love of God
       in my soul, 
which I now discerned, 
      as well as of many other virtues
was such as to fill me with wonder. 


It made me unable 
   to abstain from desiring trials,


and yet those about me 
    thought I was 
  exceedingly disheartened; 


and I must have been so, 
    if our Lord in that extremity 
had not succoured me 
    with His great compassion. 


Now was the beginning 
   of those more violent impetuosities
of the love of God 
   of which I have spoken before, [482]
as well as of those profounder trances. 


I kept silence, however, and 
   never spoke of those graces
to any one. 


The saintly Dominican [483] 
   ( Fr. Pedro Ibanez - See Footnote)
   was as confident as I was 
that the work would be done; 


and as I would not speak of it, 
  in order that nothing might take place 
 contrary to the obedience 
  I owed my confessor, 
he communicated with my companion, 
 and they wrote letters to Rome 
and made their preparations.


6. Satan also contrived now 
that persons should hear 
    one from another 
that I had had a revelation in the matter;


and people came to me in great terror,
    saying that the times were dangerous,
that something might be laid 
     to my charge, and 
that I might be taken 
     before the Inquisitors


I heard this with pleasure, 
   and it made me laugh, 
because I never was afraid of them; 


for I knew well enough 
that in matters of faith 
   I would not break the least ceremony
          of the Church, 
that I would expose myself 
    to die a thousand times
rather than 
 that any one should see me go
    against it or 
    against any truth of Holy Writ. 


So I told them 
    I was not afraid of that, 
for my soul must be in a very bad state 
  if there was anything the matter with it 
of such a nature as to make me 
   fear the Inquisition; 


I would go myself 
  and give myself up, 
if I thought there was anything amiss; 


and if I should be denounced, 
  our Lord would deliver me, 
and I should gain much.


7. I had recourse 
      to my Dominican father; 
for I could rely upon him, because
he was a learned man. 


I told him all about 
  my visions, 
  my way of prayer, 
  the great graces 
     our Lord had given me, 
as clearly as I could, and 


I begged him to 
    consider the matter well, and 
    tell me if there was anything therein 
          at variance 
         with the Holy Writings, and 
    give me his opinion 
          on the whole matter. 


He reassured me much, and, I think, 
      profited himself; 
for though he was exceedingly good, 
yet, from this time forth, 
  he gave himself 
         more and more to prayer, and
  retired to a monastery of his Order     
        which was very lonely, 
that he might apply himself 
         more effectually to prayer, 
where he remained 
         more than two years.


He was dragged out of his solitude 
    by obedience, 
to his great sorrow: 


his superiors required his services; 
for he was a man of great ability. 


I, too, on my part, 
   felt his retirement very much, 
because it was a great loss to me,    
   though I did not disturb him. 


But I knew it was a gain to him; 
for when I was so much distressed 
    at his departure, 
our Lord bade me be comforted, 
     not to take it to heart, 
for he was gone under good guidance.


8. So, when he came back, 
his soul had made such great progress
    and he was so advanced 
in the ways of the spirit, 
   that he told me on his return 
he would not have missed that journey 
  for anything in the world


And I, too, could say the same thing; 
for where he reassured and consoled me
 formerly by his mere learning
he did so now through 
  that spiritual experience he had gained
of supernatural things. 


And God, too, 
    brought him here in time; 
for He saw that his help 
    would be required in the foundation 
 of the monastery,
     which His Majesty willed 
            should be laid.


9. I remained quiet after this 
   for five or six months, 
neither thinking nor speaking 
   of the matter; 


nor did our Lord once 
   speak to me about it. 


I know not why, 
   but I could never rid myself 
of the thought that the monastery
   would be founded. 


At the end of that time,
   the then Rector [484] 
    (Fr. Dionisio Vasquez - See footnote)
of the Society of Jesus 
   having gone away, 


His Majesty brought into his place,
     another (rector), [485] 
     (Fr. Gaspar de Salazar - See footnote)
of great spirituality, high courage, 
    strong understanding,
and profound learning, 
     at the very time 
when I was in great straits. 


As he 
     who then heard my confession 
had a superior over him


        -- the fathers of the Society 
              are extremely strict 
            about the virtue of obedience 
              and never stir 
            but in conformity with the will 
              of their superiors,--


 so he would not dare,
            though he 
             - perfectly understood 
                        my spirit, and
             - desired the accomplishment 
                       of my purpose, 
  to come to any resolution; 


and he had many reasons 
   to justify his conduct. 


I was at the same time subject 
   to such great impetuosities of spirit, 
that I felt my chains extremely heavy;  
   nevertheless, I never swerved
from the commandment he gave me.


10. One day, when in great distress, 
because I thought my confessor 
   did not trust me, 
our Lord said to me, 
   Be not troubled
   this suffering will soon be over


I was very much delighted, 
   thinking I should die shortly
and I was very happy 
  whenever I recalled those words 
to remembrance. 


Afterwards I saw clearly 
that they referred to 
    the coming of the rector 
of whom I am speaking, 


for never again had I any reason 
    to be distressed. 


The rector that came 
never interfered with the Father-Minister 
  who was my confessor. 


On the contrary, 
he told him 
   - to console me, 
       --that there was nothing 
          to be afraid of,--   and
   - not to direct me 
          along a road so narrow, 
      but to leave the operations 
          of the Spirit of God alone


for now and then it seemed 
as if these great impetuosities 
   of the spirit took away 
the very breath of the soul.


11. The rector came to see me, and 
my confessor bade me speak to him 
   in all freedom and openness. 


I used to feel 
    the very greatest repugnance
to speak of this matter; 


but so it was, 
when I went into the confessional, 
  I felt in my soul something
I know not what. 


I do not remember to have felt so 
either before or after towards any one. 


I cannot tell what it was, 
nor do I know of anything 
  with which I could compare it. 


It was a spiritual joy, and 
           a conviction in my soul 
that his soul must understand mine, 
that it was in unison with it
and yet, as I have said, 
  I knew not how. 


If I had ever spoken to him, or 
       had heard great things of him, 
it would have been nothing 
       out of the way 
that I should rejoice in the conviction 
that he would understand me; 


but he had never spoken to me before, 
nor I to him, and, indeed, 
   he was a person of whom 
I had no previous knowledge whatever.


12. Afterwards, I saw clearly 
that my spirit was not deceived; 
  for my relations with him 
were in every way of the utmost service 
  to me and my soul
because his method of direction 
  is proper for those persons 
whom our Lord seems to have led 
  far on the way
seeing that He makes them 
      run, and
      not to crawl step by step. 


His plan is to render them 
 thoroughly detached and mortified


and our Lord has endowed him 
   with the highest gifts herein 
as well as in many other things beside. 


As soon as I began 
   to have to do with him, 
I knew his method at once,  and saw 
   that he had a pure and holy soul,
with a special grace of our Lord 
   for the discernment of spirits


He gave me great consolation


Shortly after I had begun 
   to speak to him, 
our Lord began to constrain me 
   to return to the affair 
          of the monastery, and 
   to lay before 
               my confessor and
               the Father-Rector 
       many reasons and considerations 
   why they should not stand in my way. 


Some of these reasons 
     made them afraid, 
for the father-rector never had a doubt 
      of its being the work 
of the Spirit of God,
because he regarded the fruits of it 
    with great care and attention. 


At last, after much consideration, 
  they did not dare to hinder me. [486]


13. My confessor gave me leave 
to prosecute the work 
   with all my might. 


I saw well enough the trouble 
  I exposed myself to, 
for I was utterly alone,
  and able to do so very little. 


We agreed that it should be carried on
   with the utmost secrecy; 


and so I contrived 
   that one of my sisters, [487] 
who lived out of the town, 
   should buy a house, and 
    prepare it as if for herself,
with money which our Lord 
    provided for us. [488] 


I made it a great point 
    to do nothing against obedience; 


but I knew that if I spoke of it 
    to my superiors 
           all was lost, 
    as on the former occasion, 
    and worse even might happen. 


In holding the money, 
in finding the house, 
in treating for it, 
in putting it in order, 
   I had so much to suffer; 


and, for the most part, 
   I had to suffer alone, 
though my friend did what she could: 
   she could do but little, 
and that was almost nothing. 


Beyond giving 
       her name and 
       her countenance, 
  the whole of the trouble was mine; 


and that fell upon me in so many ways,
 that I am astonished now 
     how I could have borne it. [489]


Sometimes, in my affliction, 
   I used to say: 
O my Lord, 
how is it that Thou commandest me 
   to do that which seems impossible?


--for, though I am a woman,
  yet, if I were free, it might be done; 
  but when I am tied 
    in so many ways,
  without 
     money, or 
     the means of procuring it, 
  either for the purpose of the Brief 
  or for any other, --


what, O Lord, can I do?


14. Once when I was 
    in one of my difficulties, 
    - not knowing what to do,
    - unable to pay the workmen, 
  St. Joseph, my true father and lord,   
     appeared to me, and 
     gave me to understand 
       - that money would not be wanting, and  
       - I must hire the workmen. 


   So I did, 
       though I was penniless; 


and our Lord, in a way
     that filled those 
  who heard of it 
     with wonder, 
  provided for me. 


The house offered me was too small
                -- so much so, 
                    that it seemed as if 
                      it could never be made 
                    into a monastery, --


and I wished to buy another
   but had not the means, and 
there was neither way nor means 
   to do so. 


I knew not what to do. 


There was another little house 
    close to the one we had, 
which might have formed 
    a small church. 


One day, after Communion, 
  our Lord said to me, 
'I have already bidden thee
   to go in anyhow.' 


And then, as if exclaiming, said: 
 'Oh, covetousness of the human race, 
     thinking that even the whole earth 
  is too little for it! 


  how often have I slept 
   in the open air,   
  because I had no place 
    to shelter Me!'  [490] 


I was alarmed, and  saw 
   that He had good reasons to complain.


I went to the little house, 
    arranged the divisions of it, and
found that it would make 
    a sufficient, though small, monastery. 


I did not care now 
   to add to the site by purchase, and 
so I did nothing but contrive 
   to have it prepared in such a way 
that it could be lived in. 


Everything was coarse, and 
nothing more was done to it 
  than to render it not hurtful to health 
     -- and that must be done everywhere.


15. As I was going to Communion 
    on her feast, 
St. Clare appeared to me 
           in great beauty
    and bade me 
           take courage,  and 
           go on with what I had begun
    she would help me. 


I began to have a great devotion
    to St. Clare; and 


she has so truly kept her word, 
   that a monastery of nuns of her Order 
          in our neighbourhood 
     helped us to live; 


    and, what is of more importance, 
          by little and little 
    she so perfectly fulfilled my desire, 
     - that the poverty 
           which the blessed Saint observes 
        in her own house 
            is observed in this, and
     - we are living on alms. 


It cost me no small labour 
   to have this matter settled by
the plenary sanction and authority 
   of the Holy Father, [491] 
so that it shall never be otherwise, and 
   we possess no revenues. 


Our Lord is doing more for us 
    -- perhaps we owe it to the prayers 
            of this blessed Saint
        for, without our asking anybody,
         His Majesty supplies 
              most abundantly 
          all our wants


May He be blessed for ever! 
Amen.


16. On one of these days 
         --it was the Feast 
           of the Assumption of our Lady --
   I was in the church of the monastery 
      of the Order 
      of the glorious St. Dominic,
thinking 
   of the events of my wretched life, and
   of the many sins which in times past 
       I had confessed in that house. 


I fell into so profound a trance,
  that I was, as it were, beside myself. 


I sat down, and 
it seemed as if I could 
     neither see the Elevation 
     nor hear Mass. 


This afterwards became a scruple to me. 


I thought then, 
  when I was in that state, 
that I saw myself clothed 
   with a garment 
 of excessive whiteness and splendour. 


At first I did not see 
  who was putting it on me. 


Afterwards I saw 
      our Lady on my right hand, and 
      my father St. Joseph on my left, 
  clothing me with that garment. 


I was given to understand 
 that I was then cleansed from my sins


When I had been thus clad 
       -- I was filled with 
           the utmost delight and joy --


  our Lady seemed at once 
           to take me by both hands. 


  She said 
    that I pleased her very much
       by being devout 
             to the glorious St. Joseph
    that I might rely on it 
       my desires about the monastery 
            were accomplished, and 
    that our Lord and they too 
            would be greatly honoured in it; 
    that I was to be afraid 
            of no failure whatever, 
      though the obedience under which 
            it would be placed 
       might not be according to my mind,
because they would watch over us, and 
because her Son had promised 
    to be with us [492] -- 


and, as a proof of this, 
    she would give me that jewel. 


She then seemed to throw 
    around my neck 
a most splendid necklace of gold, 
    from which hung a cross 
of great value. 


The stones and gold were so different
     from any in this world, 
that there is nothing 
     wherewith to compare them. 


The beauty of them is such 
      as can be conceived 
by no imagination, 
      -- and no understanding 
            can find out the materials 
                 of the robe,
            nor picture to itself
                 the splendours 
            which our Lord revealed,


                 in comparison with which 
            all the splendours of earth, 
                  so to say, 
            are a daubing of soot. 


This beauty, 
   which I saw in our Lady, 
         was exceedingly grand, 
    though I did not trace it 
         in any particular feature, 
but rather in the whole form of her face. 


She was clothed in white and 
her garments shone 
     with excessive lustre 
that was not dazzling, but soft. 


I did not see St. Joseph so distinctly, 
   though I saw clearly that he was there,
as in the visions 
   of which I spoke before, [493]
in which nothing is seen. 


Our Lady seemed to be very young.


17. When they had been with me 
   for a while, 
         -- I, too, in the greatest 
               delight and joy, 
             greater than I had ever 
                had before, 
             as I think, and with which 
                 I wished never to part, --


I saw them,  so it seemed, 
    ascend up to heaven,
 attended by a great multitude of angels.


I was left in great loneliness,
   though so comforted and raised up, 
so recollected in prayer and softened,
    that I was for some time 
unable to move or speak 
        -- being, as it were,  beside myself.


I was now possessed 
     by a strong desire 
to be consumed 
     for the love of God, and 
     by other affections of the same kind. 


Everything took place 
    in such a way 
that I could never have a  doubt 
       --though I often tried --
that the vision came from God. [494] 


It left me
    in the greatest consolation and peace.


18. As to that 
which the Queen of the Angels 
   spoke about obedience, 
it is this: 


   it was painful to me 
        not to subject the monastery 
               to the Order, and


   our Lord had told me 
        that it was inexpedient to do so. 


   He told me the reasons 
       why it was in no wise convenient 
           that I should do it 


       but I must send to Rome 
           in a certain way, 
       which He also explained; 


       He would take care 
          that I found help there: 
       and so I did. 


       I sent to Rome, 
          as our Lord directed me
          -- for we should never 
              have succeeded otherwise, --
       and most favourable was the result.


19. And as to subsequent events, 
it was very convenient 
       to be under the Bishop, [495] 
       ( Don Alvaro de Mendoza - See footnote)
but at that time 
       I did not know him, 
       nor did I know what kind
           of a superior he might be. 


It pleased our Lord 
that he should be 
      as good and favourable 
          to this house 
      as it was necessary he should be 
          - on account of the great opposition
               it met with at the beginning, 
                      as I shall show hereafter, [496] 
                      and also 
         - for the sake of bringing it 
               to the condition
                      it is now in.


Blessed be He who has done it all! 
Amen.
___________________________


            Foot Notes


[482] [384]Ch. xxi. § 6, 
           [385]ch. xxix. §§ 10, 11.


[483] Pedro Ibanez. 
          See [386]ch. xxxviii. § 15.


[484] Dionisio Vasquez. 
Of him the Bollandists say that 
he was very austere and harsh 
   to his subjects, 
notwithstanding his great learning: 
"homini egregie docto ac rebus gestis claro, 
sed in subditos, ut ex historia
Societatis Jesu liquet, valde immiti" 
(n. 309).


[485] Gaspar de Salazar was made rector 
of the house in Avila in 1561,
therein succeeding Vasquez (Bollandists, ibid.).


[486] St. Teresa was commanded by our Lord 
to ask Father Baltasar Alvarez 
to make a meditation on Psalm xci. 6:
 "Quam magnificata sunt opera Tua." 


The Saint obeyed, and the meditation was made. 
From that moment, as F. Alvarez
afterwards told Father de Ribera 
(Life of St. Teresa, i. ch. vii.), 
there was no further hesitation on the part 
of the Saint's confessor.


[487] Juana de Ahumada, 
wife of Juan de Ovalle.


[488] The money was a present from her brother, 
Don Lorenzo de Cepeda; 
and the Saint acknowledges the receipt of it, 
and confesses the use made of it,
in a letter to her brother, written in Avila, Dec. 31, 1561
 (De la Fuente).


[489] One day, she went with her sister 
-- she was staying in her house --
to hear a sermon in the church of St. Thomas. 
The zealous preacher denounced visions and revelations; 
and his observations were so much to the point, 
that there was no need of his saying
 that they were directed against St. Teresa, 
who was present. 


Her sister was greatly hurt, 
and persuaded the Saint to return
to the monastery at once 
(Reforma, i. ch. xlii. § 1).


[490] St. Luke ix. 58: 
"Filius autem hominis non habet 
ubi caput reclinet."


[491] Pius IV., on Dec. 5, 1562, (Bouix). 
See [387]ch. xxxix. § 19.


[492] [388]Ch. xxxii. § 14.


[493] See [389]ch. xxvii. § 7.


[494] "Nuestro SeƱor," "our Lord," 
though inserted in the printed editions
after the word "God," is not in the MS., 
according to Don V. de la Fuente.


[495] Don Alvaro de Mendoza, 
Bishop of Avila, afterwards of Palencia.


[496] See [390]ch. xxxvi. § 15; 
Way of Perfection, ch. v. § 10; 
Foundations, ch. xxxi. § 1.
___________________________