Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Thursday, November 11, 2010

Discussion of Ch. 32 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila


   The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus

  The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,
of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel.

       Discussion of Chapter  32

 She narrates 
- how it pleased God to put her in spirit 
   in that place of Hell she had deserved by her sins. 

She tells 
- a little of what she saw there 
   compared with what there was besides. 

She begins to speak 
- of the manner and way of founding 
   the convent of St. Joseph 
     where she now lives.

- Our Lord Shows St. Teresa the Place 
   Which She Had by Her Sins Deserved in Hell. 
- The Torments There. 
- How the Monastery of St. Joseph Was Founded.

______________________

      Topics/ Questions

1). "Some considerable time 
      after our Lord had bestowed 
      upon me  the graces...and 
         others also of a higher nature, 
       I was one day in prayer 
       when I found myself... 
         plunged apparently into hell".
     Why did she think that this vision 
        was a mercy for her ?
          [Life: Ch32: # 6,7,8, 9,10,11] 

2). When St. Teresa wrote regarding
        thinking "what I could do for God", 
      what was "the first thing" 
         she thought of doing ?
            [Life: Ch32: # 11   ] 
3).  What did St. Teresa say 
           about the current rule and
        what did she want to change?
          [Life: Ch32: # 11,12,13,14,15,21] 

4).  Although "the religious Orders 
           were then relaxed",
        was God served by them?
            [Life: Ch32: # 14  ] 
5). What did St. Teresa say
         about her belief or compliance to
         visions or revelations?
           [Life: Ch32: # 14, 16, 19  ]

____________________________

1). "Some considerable time 
      after our Lord had bestowed 
      upon me  the graces...and 
         others also of a higher nature, 
       I was one day in prayer 
       when I found myself... 
         plunged apparently into hell".
  Why did she think that this vision 
        was a mercy for her ?
          [Life: Ch32: # 6,7,8, 9,10,11] 


She gained as a result of the vision:

~
  Thankfulness to God for His
             mercy and compassion 
         for her conversion and deliverance:


         St. Teresa said:






            "I understood distinctly 
                that it was a great mercy 
          that our Lord would have me
             see with mine own eyes 
                         the very place 
          from which His compassion saved me.
                   [Life: Ch32: # 6 ] 

            "to give thanks to our Lord
               who has been my Deliverer...
            from such fearful and
                everlasting pains"
                   [Life: Ch32: #  7  ] 

           "how manifest is it 
            that Thou didst love me 
                  much more
            than I did love Thee

            How often, O Lord, 
                didst Thou save me
             from that fearful prison! and

             how I used to get back to it 
                contrary to Thy will.
                   [Life: Ch32: # 8   ] 

            "I saw clearly 
             that it was the work of God, and 
             that His Majesty had furnished 
               my soul with fervour, 
            so that I might be able to digest 
                other and stronger food
              than I had been accustomed...
                     [Life: Ch32: # 11  ] 

~ Supernatural knowledge
       which granted her the ability to grasp the truth.

       She said that the fearful  descriptions 
           which she heard or read of that place 
       did not help her to make spiritual progress.

       She said that she had
          "listened to people speaking of (hell)"
        and read about it (before this vision)
           but "my soul made no progress 
                by the way of fear
                       [Life: Ch32: #  6  ] 

       "...the pains of hell, 
            I was not afraid of them,
        nor made any account of them
                     [Life: Ch32: # 8  ] 

      "In short, the one is a reality, 
         the other a picture;  
                    [Life: Ch32: # 6   ] 



 ~  She saw that any sufferings 
             she had in this world 
          are nothing in comparison 
             to those of hell.

          It "destroyed (her) fear 
             of  (worldly) trouble"
         "It has made me strong enough
              to bear up against them"

         "amid all the pain and suffering,...
             all we have to suffer in this world 
                 is as nothing

          It seems to me 
             that we complain without reason

         I repeat it, 
            this vision was 
        one of the grandest mercies 
          of our Lord
         It has been to me 
            of the greatest service
         because it has destroyed my fear 
            of trouble and 
            of the contradiction of the world, and
         because 
            it has made me strong enough
                  to bear up against them..."
                    [Life: Ch32: #  7  ] 


      "everything seems endurable 
          in comparison 
        with one instant of suffering 
            such as those I had then 
                 to bear in hell. 
                   [Life: Ch32: # 8   ] 



~ Greater comprehension 
      of the seriousness of sin

       "How could I possibly 
          take any pleasure in those things 
        which led me directly 
          to so dreadful a place?"
                 [Life: Ch32: # 8   ] 

        "It is true that, 
           considering my faults, 
        I had deserved 
           a still heavier chastisement; 

        we run a great risk 
           whenever we please ourselves.

        No soul should take 
           either rest or pleasure 
        that is liable to fall every moment 
           into mortal sin. 

        Let us, then, for the love of God, 
            avoid all occasions of sin
         and our Lord will help us, 
            as He has helped me. 
        May it please His Majesty 
            never to let me out of His hands, 
        lest I should turn back and fall
            now that I have seen the place 
         where I must dwell if I do. 
                 [Life: Ch32: #10    ] 



~ Compassion for the souls in purgatory
       "It was that vision that
         - filled me 
              with the very great distress 
            which I feel at the sight 
               of so many lost souls  
        - gave me 
               the most vehement desires 
           for the salvation of souls..
   
            to save even one from those 
                overwhelming torments, 
            I would most willingly 
                endure many deaths.


            What...must it be 
                to see a soul in danger of pain,
             the most grievous of all pains, 
                forever? 
  
             I know not 
                how we can be calm, 
             when we see Satan carry 
                so many souls daily away.
                   [Life: Ch32: #  9  ] 



 ~ Strengthened her resolution 
        to persevere in her efforts
          to please God 

      "makes me wish...
         we did not rest satisfied 
                  with doing less 
            than we can do on our part,
            that we left nothing undone". 
                [Life: Ch32: #  10  ] 

       "When I 
                 had seen this vision, and 
                 had learned other great 
                      and hidden things 
                 which our Lord,  of His goodness, 
                      was pleased to show me,  
        
            I longed for 
             the way and the means 

                       - of doing penance 
                           for the great evil  I had done, and 

                             - of meriting in some degree

                      so that I might gain so great a good"

               She longed to grow in detachment:
                   "I wished 
                         to avoid all society, and 
                         to withdraw myself 
                     utterly from the world"

         "I tried to think 
               what I could do for God, and   

         "(I) thought that the first thing was 
               to follow my vocation
                      to a religious life, 
                      which His Majesty had given me,  
                  by keeping my rule 
                      in the greatest perfection possible.
                          [Life: Ch32: # 11   ] 

_________________________

2). When St. Teresa wrote regarding
          thinking "what I could do for God", 
        what was "the first thing" 
          she thought of doing ?
            [Life: Ch32: # 11   ] 

The first thing 
  that St. Teresa thought of doing  was 
       to follow her vocation in the religious life.


This she would do by following 
       the Rule of her order
  as well as she possibly could.
          
         "I tried to think 
             what I could do for God, and   
         (I) thought that the first thing was 
             to follow my vocation
                 to a religious life, 
                       which His Majesty had given me,  
                 by keeping my rule 
                        in the greatest perfection possible".
                                [Life: Ch32: # 11   ] 
________________________

3).  What did St. Teresa say 
        about the current rule 
        and what did she want to change?
        [Life: Ch32: # 11,12,13,14,15,21] 

Regarding the Current Rule
At that time, she was living 
   under a mitigated rule.
   "The rule also was kept,
         not in its original exactness

    but according to the custom 
         of the whole Order, 
    authorised by the Bull of Mitigation."
     [Life: Ch32: # 12]


Regarding her concerns:

She said that under this relaxed rule,  
   and in the current "large and pleasant" convent
 many comforts and distractions were present.


It also allowed nuns 
   to leave the convent and follow their
 religious observances elsewhere.  
  
          "the nuns 
             left it very often and 
         went to other places..."

In addition to this, St. Teresa, herself,
  was "commanded...to visit" persons
     outside the convent.
This interrupted her ability to
      teach her Sisters.
     
          "My superiors...commanded me 
                 to visit these persons;  
           thus...I could not be long together 
                 in the monastery. 

           Satan....must have had a share 
                 in this, 
           in order that I might not be
                 in the house, 

             where I was of great service
                     to those of my sisters 
                to whom I continually     
                 communicated the instructions 
             which I received 
                 from my confessors".

           "There were other 
                   inconveniences also: 
           we had too many comforts
                   as it seemed to me; 
            for the house was 
                   large and pleasant. 
                      [Life: Ch32: # 12  ]  



Regarding the changes which she desired:


She wanted to change their rule
~ in order to make it more conducive 
      to prayer and detachment.

             She  "having this desire...
                   to become nuns  like those 
              of the Barefooted Orders"
                        [Life: Ch32: # 13  ] 


             "I wished 
                   to avoid all society, and 
                   to withdraw myself 
                      utterly from the world"
                         [Life: Ch32: # 11  ] 

   This evolved into plans to 
               found a new monastery 
              "as a means 
                     of great perfection,
               because the whole foundation 
                      was laid in prayer
                         [Life: Ch32: # 21  ] 

               Fr. Pedro IbaƱez
               "became convinced 
                  that it was greatly 
                for the service of God, and 
                that we must not give it up".



~ in order to follow God's will

               "our Lord  spoke of it...to me,
                    and  set before me 
                so many reasons and motives, 
                    which 
                      I saw could not be gainsaid,  
                      I saw, too, 
                           that such was His will"  
                              [Life: Ch32: # 15  ] 

              "One day, after Communion, 
                       our Lord commanded me 
                to labour with all my might
                       for this end

               "He made me great promises,
                     that the monastery 
                         would be certainly built
                     that He would take 
                         great delight therein; 
                     that it should be 
                         called St. Joseph's;
                           [Life: Ch32: # 14  ] 
__________________________

4).  Although "the religious Orders 
           were then relaxed",
        was God served by them?
            [Life: Ch32: # 14  ] 


Yes, God was served by them.

St. Teresa stated that Our Lord told her:
  "that, though the religious Orders 
           were then relaxed, 
    I was not to suppose 
           that He was scantily served 
                  in them,
       
      -- for what would become 
                 of the world
      if there were no religious in it? --
            [Life: Ch32: # 14  ] 
___________________________
5). What did St. Teresa say regarding
          her belief or compliance to
             visions or revelations?
               [Life: Ch32: # 14.16, 19  ] 

  
~ St. Teresa stated:
       her belief  and compliance with revelations
       would always  be in accord with
          the sacred writings and
          the laws of the Church
       and would not 
               offend God or
               go against her conscience.


       "my belief in the truth 
               of the revelation 
         went no further than 
               in so far as it was 
         not against what is contained 
                in the sacred writings
           nor against the laws 
                of the Church, 
           which we are bound to keep.

        Though the revelation 
                 seemed to me 
            to have come really from God, 
         yet, if that learned man 
                  had told me
         that we could not go on 
           without 
              offending God and 
              going against our conscience
           I believe I should have 
              given it up, and
              looked out for some other way; 

              but our Lord showed me 
                 no other way than this.
                    [Life: Ch32: # 19  ] 



  
~ St. Teresa did not put forward to others
         her visions and revelations
       as primary reasons for the
         founding of a new monastery.

      In her discussions with her Provincial
           Superior and Consultants 
      regarding the need for the new monastery
              (and reformed rule), 
       she put forward 
               the reasons, motives, and benefits 
       of the undertaking.


 Although  She did  not specify
          if she did speak to her confessor 
               regarding the vision,
               "Our Lord  spoke of it...to me,
                  and  set before me 
                   so many reasons and motives...
                            [Life: Ch32: # 14  ] 
                 I was to tell my confessor 
                  what He commanded me, and   
                 that He asked him 
                       not to oppose 
                       nor thwart me in the matter"
                           [Life: Ch32: # 14  ] 

 she does specify 
          that  she did not discuss the vision 
              with her Superior (Provincial)
          to whom her Confessor referred her,
              nor with her Consultant Father.

                "I never spoke of my visions 
                       to my superior"
                (The Provincial of the Carmelites: 
                       Fr. Angel de Salasar )
                           [Life: Ch32: # 16  ] 



                "I told (Fr. Peter IbaƱez) myself
                     - all we intended to do, and
                     - some of my motives.
                 I never said a word 
                   of any revelation whatever
                 speaking only 
                   of the natural reasons
                 which influenced me; 

                 for I would not have him 
                    give an opinion
                 otherwise than on those grounds".
                       [Life: Ch32: # 19 ] 
____________________________