Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Monday, November 22, 2010

Discussion of Ch. 35 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila

   The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus

  The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,
of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel

       Discussion of Chapter  35

Continuation 
- of the foundation of this house 
   of our glorious Father St. Joseph; 
- in what manner our Lord ordained 
   that holy poverty should be observed there; 
- the reason why she left the lady 
   with whom she had been staying, and 
- some other things that happened.


- The Foundation of the House of St. Joseph. 
- The Observation of Holy Poverty Therein. 
- How the Saint Left Toledo.
______________________

Topics/ Questions


1). What did St. Teresa learn
          regarding the Rule?
          [Life: Ch.35: #2 ]


2). What were the concerns regarding
       founding a monastery that was
      without any revenue,
       endowments  or secure income
            of its own?
       [Life: Ch.35: #1,2,3,4,5,
                  6,7,10,12,13,14,15]


3). Regarding the election at her convent,
      what was :
a). St. Teresa's  initial concerns
          [Life: Ch.35: #8  ]
b). Her first reaction to the news
       of the election
            [Life: Ch. 35: #8,9]
c). God's will
            [Life: Ch. 35: #9 ]
d). The reason why
       she later wanted to leave at once
            [Life: Ch. 35: #10 ]
e). Her two contrary feelings
      and their resolution
           [Life: Ch. 35: #10, 11, 12 ]
__________________________

1). What did St. Teresa learn
          regarding the Rule?
           [Life: Ch. 35: #2 ]

St. Teresa learned that under the
    original (primitive) Carmelite rule,
 the nuns were not allowed
    to own anything of their own.

St. Teresa stated
"Until I spoke to her,
            ( Maria of Jesus - 
               See Footnote #511 
               of  The Life: Ch. 35 )
   I never knew
that our rule,
   before it was mitigated,
required of us
   that we should possess nothing.
          [Life: Ch. 35: #2 ]




  See Footnote #514 of Ch. 35

  The Constitutions which the Saint read    
     in the Monastery of the Incarnation
  must have been the Constitutions grounded     
     on the Mitigated Rule
  which was sanctioned by Eugenius IV.
    (Romani Pontificis, A.D. 1432).





   See Footnote #512 of Ch. 35

  The sixth chapter of the Rule is:
    "Nullus fratrum sibi aliquid proprium,
      esse dicat, sed sint vobis omnia communia."




  The Rule of Saint Albert

  12. None of the brothers must lay claim           
           to anything as his own,
        but you are to possess
           everything in common;
        and each is to receive from the prior
           -- that is from the brother
               he appoints
               for the purpose --
       whatever befits his age and needs.




__________________________

2). What were the concerns regarding
       founding a monastery that was
         without any revenue, 
       endowments  or secure income 
            of its own?
       [Life: Ch. 35: #1,2,3,4,5,
                  6,7,10,12,13,14,15]

~ St. Teresa had a great desire
    to live in poverty for God

      "for His Majesty had already
           given me
        great longings for poverty".
              [Life: Ch. 35: #2 ]
    
     "it would have been my great joy
            to think that I was observing
       the counsels of Christ our Lord;
            [Life: Ch. 35: #2 ]

      "As for myself,
          I never doubted
        that this was the better part;

        for I had now for some time
           wished it were possible
        in my state
            to go about begging,
        for the love of God --
            to have
                  no house of my own,
                  nor anything else.
                     [Life: Ch. 35: #3]


       "when I returned to my prayer,
            and saw Christ on the cross,
                    so poor and destitute,
            I could not bear to be rich,

         and I implored Him with tears
            so to order matters
         that I might be poor as He was.
                       [Life: Ch. 35: #4]

         "That holy friar,
            Peter of Alcantara...was
         a great lover of poverty, and
            had lived in it
         for so many years,

         he knew well the treasures
            it contains...
         he charged me on no account
            whatever to give up
                my purpose.

         Now, having
            this opinion and sanction,
               -- no one was better able
                           to give it,
                  because he knew
                           what it was
                  by long experience,  --
                   [Life: Ch. 35: #6]

        "it seemed to me nothing less
           than the possession
        of all the wealth of the world,
           when I had resolved
        to live in poverty for the love of God.
                        [Life: Ch. 35: #7]

~  The original Carmelite Rule
     - supported poverty,
     - prohibited ownership
     - depended on God's Providence

       "our rule,
        before it was mitigated,
          required of us
        that we should possess nothing.
             [Life: Ch. 35: #2 ]


        "when I saw
              what the rule required, and
          that poverty was
              the more perfect way,
          I could not persuade myself
              to allow an endowment.
                [Life: Ch. 35: #4 ]

~ The Will of God

      "when I was very earnestly
         commending the matter to God,
      our Lord told me
      that I must by no means
             give up my purpose
       of founding the monastery
             in poverty;

      it was
         His will, and
         the will of His Father:

         He would help me.
             [Life: Ch. 35: #7]
      
        The Lord "said to me...other things
             in praise of poverty;
               [Life: Ch. 35: #7]

       "Our Lord changed the dispositions"
            of those in authority over her
        and others, Priest and Consultants,
            who previously said
       "that I should not found
            a monastery without an endowment"
                 [Life: Ch. 35: #7]

        "the special help
            which His Majesty gave me
         towards the establishment
            of this little cell of God...        

         the lodging wherein
             His Majesty delights...

         He told me
             that this house was the paradise
         of his delight.

         It seems, then,
            that His Majesty has chosen these
         whom he has drawn hither...

         for our Lord has called them
            out of the vanity and dissipation
         of the world
                  [Life: Ch. 35: #13]

         "O my Lord!
             how Thou dost show Thy power!

         There is no need
             to seek reasons for Thy will;
                    [Life: Ch. 35: #14]
               _______________

     - The Lord also made His will
            known to St. Teresa
        through the undertakings of
            Marie of  Jesus:

       "Our Lord had moved her
                 ( Maria of Jesus -
                    See Footnote #511
                    of The  Life: Ch. 35)
            in the same year, and
            in the same month of the year,
          that He had moved me,
            to found another monastery
             of the Order;

          and as He had given her
               this desire,
          she
             sold all she possessed, and
             went to Rome to obtain
           the necessary faculties.

           our Lady
              appeared to her, and
              commanded her
            to undertake this work.

            She showed me Briefs
              (Patents - Peers translation)
               she brought from Rome...
            we laid our plan
               for the founding
             of these monasteries.
                  [Life: Ch. 35: #1]

~ Without the security of  funding,
         the newly proposed convent
     and its nuns would be at risk for:
      - suffering and being displaced
           if it should fail to sustain itself.
      - distraction and
           lack of poverty of spirit
        if there was concerns regarding
           hunger, lack of food and necessities

        Previously, before learning
           of the Order's original rule of poverty,
        she thought:
         "...nor was I going to found
            a monastery without revenue,
          for my intention was
            that we should be
          without anxiety about all
            that was necessary for us"
                    [Life: Ch. 35: #2 ]
        
         Her  Priest Directors
            and those whom she Consulted
         advised her of the risks
            and said:
         "I was committing follies, and
            that I ought not to do anything
         whereby I might
            bring suffering upon others.

         If this concerned only myself,
            nothing should have
         kept me back
                 [Life: Ch. 35: #2 ]

        "But I was afraid that others...
            might live in discontent
         if our Lord did not give them
            the same desire
                   (for poverty).

         Moreover, I feared
            that it might be the cause
         of some distraction:

         for I knew
            some poor monasteries
         not very recollected"

    - Then, she seems to defend poverty:
         "...their not being recollected
             was the cause
                    of their poverty

           ... their poverty
               was not the cause
                    of their distraction"

           distraction never
               makes people richer,

           and God never fails those
               who serve Him.
                  [Life: Ch. 35: #3]

      
          "to understand that
           that to live away
                             from all things in this life
             is  to live in greater peace
                             even here below.
                              [Life: Ch. 35: #13]


~ Divine Providence and Faith
        Abandonment to God with
        Humility and detachment

         The Lord "assured me
         that whosoever served Him
            would never be in want
         of the necessary means of living"
                  [Life: Ch. 35: #7]

         "God never fails those
            who serve Him".
                [Life: Ch. 35: #3]
            
          At first she had misgivings
            "I was weak in faith;
          but not so this servant of God"
                  ( Maria of Jesus -
                    See Footnote #511
                    of The  Life: Ch. 35 )
                   [Life: Ch. 35: #3]

          "for with Thee,
             against all natural reason,
           all things are possible:

           there is no need of anything
             but of
             -- loving Thee in earnest, and
             -- really giving up
                   everything for Thee,
                in order that Thou, O my Lord,
                   might make everything easy.

           He who loves Thee, O my God,
             travels safely
      
           he has scarcely stumbled at all,
             when Thou stretchest forth
           Thy hand  to save him.

               One fall -- yea, many falls --
                   if he does but love
                     - Thee, and
                     - not the things of the world,
                are not enough
                   to make him perish;
                he travels in the valley
                   of humility.

           I cannot understand what it is
             that makes men afraid
           of the way of perfection".
                      [Life: Ch. 35: #14]


           She felt that there was
             more security
                 in following God in poverty
             than living among the dangers
                 of attachment to the things
             in the world.

           May our Lord of His mercy
              make us see
           - what a poor security we have
                in the midst of dangers
              so manifest,
                when we live like the rest of the world

           - that true security consists
                in striving to advance
              in the way of God!

           Let us
              - fix our eyes upon Him, and
              - have no fear
                    that the Sun of justice
                        -- will ever set, or
                        -- suffer us to travel
                              to our ruin by night,
                        unless we first look away
                             from Him.
                              [Life: Ch. 35: #15]


~  The endowments and the owning
         of property also brings
      many problems and anxieties

        Previously, before learning
           of the Order's original rule
           of poverty, she thought:
        "and I did not think
           of the many anxieties
        which the possession of property
            brings in its train.
                  [Life: Ch. 35: #2]


        "that so many inconveniences
            resulted from an endowment...
         that it was the cause              
            of so much trouble,
            and even distraction…"
               [Life: Ch. 35: #5]

        The Lord "said to me
         -  that endowments bred confusion"
                 [Life: Ch. 35: #7]

~  The Possibility of taking resources
      ( Nuns, donations) from the present convent
     when she departed for a new monastery.

       "It was said...
        that it would have been better
          if I had procured greater resources
              for (the present convent)
              than for another" (new monastery)
                [Life: Ch.33: #2]


    Inevitably, the founding of and
        departure to a new monastery
           with strict enclosure
           and strict rule of poverty
       would result in the separation from
           many nuns and lay persons,
        as well as Fathers
       who would miss her company and consultation.
       She would miss their company and consultation.
       There would be barriers
           due to distance, visiting rules, etc.

         "It was said
          - I insulted my sisters;
          - that I could serve God
              among them
             as well as elsewhere,
             for there were many among them
                much better than I;
           - that I did not love the house"
              [Life: Ch.33: #2]

  
         For example, even before the
           new convent was being founded,  
         when she had to leave suddenly,
           Dona Luisa de la Cerda
          was distressed at her departure

          "The lady felt my departure
               very much, and
            that was another pain to bear;
               for it had cost her
                 - much trouble, and
                 - diverse importunities
                      of the Provincial,
                    to have me in her house.
                       [Life: Ch. 35: #10]

        
           "the pain of quitting that lady,
              whom I saw suffering so keenly,
            and others to whom I owed much
               particularly my confessor
            of the Society of Jesus,
                  [Life: Ch. 35: #12]

             those whom I was leaving
                felt my going so much,
                     [Life: Ch. 35: #12]

________________________

3). Regarding the election at her convent,
      what was:
a). St. Teresa's  initial concerns
          [Life: Ch. 35: #8  ]
b). Her first reaction to the news
       of the election
            [Life: Ch. 35: #8,9]
c). God's will
            [Life: Ch. 35: #9 ]
d). The reason
       why she would leave at once
            [Life: Ch. 35: #10 ]
e). Her two contrary feelings
      and their resolution
           [Life: Ch. 35: #10, 11, 12 ]


Regarding the election at her convent,

a). St. Teresa's  initial concerns
            [Life: Ch. 35: #8 ]

     "the elections in my monastery
         would take place and
      I was told that many of the nuns
         wished to lay on me
      the burden of superiorship.

      The very thought of this alone
         was a great torment to me;

      for though I was resolved
          to undergo readily
      any kind of martyrdom for God,
          I could not persuade myself at all
      to accept this"

     Her reasons were:
     - "the great trouble it involved,
         because the nuns  were so many,
    - "I never wished for it,
           nor for any other office,
         on the contrary,
           had always refused them, --
    - it seemed to me that my conscience
       would be in great danger;
          [Life: Ch. 35: #8]

b). Her first reaction to the news
       of the election
           [Life: Ch. 35: #8,9 ]

      - so I praised God
          that I was not then in my convent.
             [Life: Ch. 35: #8]

        I was rejoicing
           that I was not in that trouble,
              [Life: Ch. 35: #9]

      - I wrote to my friends and
          asked them not to vote for me.
           [Life: Ch. 35: #8]
    
c). God's will
           [Life: Ch. 35: #9 ]

  Our Lord said to me
   - that I was on no account
         to keep away;
   - that as I longed for a cross,
         there was one ready for me, and
         that a heavy one:
   -  that I was not to throw it away,
   -  but go on with resolution;

   - He would help me, and
   - I must go at once.
        [Life: Ch. 35: #9]


      I was
         very much distressed, and
      did nothing but weep,
          because I thought that my cross
      was to be the office of prioress;

      I could not persuade myself
         that it would be at all good
      for my soul
                -- nor could I see any means
                    by which it would be.

      I told my confessor of it, and

      he commanded me
        - to return at once:
        - that to do so was clearly
              the most perfect way...
      
      (but) I might wait a few days...
        because the heat was very great...
      in order that my journey
        might do me no harm.
                 [Life: Ch. 35: #9]

d). The reason why
       she later wanted to leave at once
              [Life: Ch. 35: #10 ]


    "I had to go at once,
    because
    - the uneasiness I felt
           was very great;  and
    - I was unable to pray, and
    - thought I was failing in obedience
            to the commandments
            of our Lord

    - that as I was happy and contented
            where I was,
       I would not go to meet trouble.
    - All my service of God there
             was lip-service:
    - why did I, having the opportunity
              of living in greater perfection,
        neglect it?

     - If I died on the road, let me die.
     - Besides, my soul was
               in great straits,
        and our Lord had taken from me
              all sweetness in prayer.
      
         In short, I was in such
             a state of torment,
          that I begged the lady to let me go;
             [Life: Ch. 35: #10]

         I was distressed 

         because I had not 
            already begun the fight
         since it was our Lord's will
            that I should be in it.
                [Life: Ch. 35: #11]

e). two contrary feelings
       and their resolution
        [Life: Ch. 35: #10, 11, 12 ]

     "I had a clear consciousness
        of these two contrary feelings
         -- pleasure, consolation, and joy
       in that which weighed down my soul
            with sadness.
             [Life: Ch. 35: #11]

       "The lady felt my departure
             very much
        and that was another pain to bear"
              [Life: Ch. 35: #10]

         the pain  of quitting that lady
               [Life: Ch. 35: #11]

        I was joyful and tranquil,
           and had opportunities
        of spending many hours in prayer;

        and I saw that I was going
            to throw myself into a fire;
        for our Lord had already told me
        that I was going to carry
            a heavy cross...  
        yet I went forth rejoicing

        I was
distressed
        because I had not
           already begun the fight,
        since
it was our Lord's will
           that I should be in it.

               [Life: Ch. 35: #11]

        I could not understand
           how this (two contrary feelings)
           ...could be.
        I thought of this illustration:

        if I were possessed of a jewel...
          which gave me great pleasure,
         and it came to my knowledge
         that a person
           whom I loved
                    more than myself, and
               whose satisfaction I preferred
                    to my own,
           wished to have it,
         it would give me great pleasure
            to deprive myself of it,
         because I would give
            all I possessed
         to please that person.

         Now, as the pleasure
            of giving pleasure
         to that person
            surpasses any pleasure
         I have in that jewel myself,
            I should  not be distressed
         in giving away that
            or anything else I loved,
         nor at the loss of that pleasure
            which the possession of it
         gave me.
             [Life: Ch. 35: #12]

         I was now not sorry myself
            at coming away,
         for I knew
            that it was an act
         of greater perfection, and
            for the service of God.

         So the pleasure
            I had in pleasing God
         took away the pain
            of quitting that lady,
         whom I saw suffering so keenly,
            and others
         to whom I owed much,
            particularly my confessor
         of the Society of Jesus,
            in whom I found all I needed.

         But
            the greater the consolations
                           I lost for our Lord's sake,
            the greater was my joy
                           in losing them.
                [Life: Ch. 35: #11]

         So now, though I wished
            to feel some distress
         when I saw
            that those whom I was leaving
         felt my going so much,
              yet, notwithstanding
                  my naturally grateful disposition
              which under other circumstances
                 would have been enough
               to have caused me great pain,


         at this time,
               though I wished to feel it,
         I could feel none.
                     [Life: Ch. 35: #12]



      End  of  Discussion  of  Chapter  35