Come, Holy Spirit. Enkindle in our hearts, the fire of Your Divine Love.



Blessed Mother Mary, Queen of Carmel,

protect and pray for us.



Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Discussion of Ch.31 - The Life of Teresa of Jesus - Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila



 The Life of Holy Mother
        Teresa of Jesus


  The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus,
 of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel


       Discussion of  Chapter  31


She speaks of 
-  some exterior temptations and 
      apparitions of Satan, and 
   how he ill-treated her. 
She mentions, moreover, 
-  some very good things by way of advice to persons 
   who are walking on the way of perfection.


-  Of Certain Outward Temptations and 
-  Appearances of Satan. 
-  Of the Sufferings Thereby Occasioned. 
-  Counsels for Those Who Go on Unto Perfection.
______________________


         Topics/ Questions

1a). How did St. Teresa respond to
          temptations, interior troubles, 
        and apparitions of the devil?
         [Life: Ch.31: # 2,3,4,8,9,10,11,12]


1b).  What benefits of Holy Water 
          did she describe ?
              [ Life: Ch.31: # 4, 10 ]


2). What kind of occasion, 
         according to St. Teresa, 
      would often incite
        a disturbance by the devil?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 6,4,8,9,10 ]


3). How did St. Teresa feel about  
         being persecuted by others?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 13]


4). What did St. Teresa say  regarding
       "being made much" by others                   
         and Humility
         [ Life: Ch.31: # 13,14,15,16,17,18]


5). What did St. Teresa say 
       "seems good...in the world" ?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 19 ]


6). What did St. Teresa say about
       the striving for perfection ?
         [ Life: Ch.31: # 19,20,25,27 ]


7). What did St. Teresa say about
          those would fly 
        before God gives them wings ?
             [ Life: Ch.31: #  20, 21 ]


8). What advice or encouragement
         does she provide? 
          [Life: Ch.31: # 21,22,23,24,25,
                                  26,27 ]


____________________________



1a). How did St. Teresa respond to
          temptations, interior troubles, 
        and apparitions of the devil?
          [Life: Ch.31: # 2,3,4,8,9,10,11,12]


1b).  What benefits of Holy Water 
          did she describe ?
              [ Life: Ch.31: # 4, 10 ]


         - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


1a). How did St. Teresa respond to
             temptations, interior troubles, 
             and apparitions of the devil?
           [Life: Ch.31: # 2,3,4,8,9,10,11,12]


St. Teresa responded with prayer:
-  She asked God for patience and strength
    to withstand her suffering and trials.
        At times, she made the Sign of the Cross and also
        found Holy Water to be very efficacious.
-  She also prayed for others who were undergoing
        these interior struggles.
-  She also asked her Nuns to pray for them also.
-  She consulted with her Confessor.
-  She was given the understanding that 
       the devils have "little power" and
       "their strength is as nothing".


Prayer for  strength and deliverance:
 "I...make...interior acts, 
      as well as I can,
         imploring our Lord,
     if it be His will, 
         to give me patience, and then 
         to let me suffer on,
               [ Life: Ch.31: # 3 ]

     The Sign of the Cross
:    

        "I was in great terror, 
            made the sign of the cross 
         and then the form vanished--
            but it reappeared instantly"
               [ Life: Ch.31: # 2 ]

    Holy Water:
         "there was some holy water at hand;
             I took some, and 
          threw it in the direction 
            of the figure, 
          and then Satan never returned".
              [ Life: Ch.31: # 2 ]



Prayer of Intercession for others:


She prayed for others 
   who were tormented  by temptations;


 "I implored His Majesty 
    to put an end to 
       these torments and temptations, and
    to let the evil spirits torment me 
       instead
   provided I did not offend our Lord. 


   Thus it was that for one month 
       I was most grievously tormented"
         [ Life: Ch.31: # 8 ]


    She asked her Nuns to pray for others:


   "I promised him that I 
    would pray to God 
           for his amendment, and 
    get others who were better than I 
            to do the same.
       [ Life: Ch.31: # 8 ]


  "I recommended him to my sisters, 
        through whose prayers 
     I must have obtained this mercy 
        from our Lord"
            [ Life: Ch.31: # 8 ]


   "for the prayers of those 
       who serve Him 
     can do great things


     and I believe the sisters of this house 
        do serve Him. 
            [ Life: Ch.31: # 9 ]


Consultation with her Confessor:


 "during the temptations 
   it seemed to me
         as if all my vanity and weakness 
               in times past 
         had become alive again within me; 

   Then I was tormented by the thought  
    that, as these things came back 
               to my memory, 
          I must be utterly 
               in the power of Satan, 
          until my confessor consoled me; 


    for I imagined 
          that even the first movement 
               towards an evil thought 
          ought not to have come near one 
               who had received from our Lord 
          such great graces as I had.
                [ Life: Ch.31: # 12 ]





Courage; Disdain of the devil:

 St. Teresa stated regarding the devil
  - that much is "not in his power" and    
  - that he can do nothing except 
    "by our Lord's permission". 
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 4 ]

"These cursed spirits have tormented me
      so often, 
   and I am now so little afraid of them, 
 because...they cannot stir 
    without our Lord's permission"          
          [ Life: Ch.31: # 9 ]

  "May this I have written be of use 
      to the true servant of God, 
   who ought to despise these terrors,    
   which Satan sends only 
      to make him afraid! 

    Let him understand that each time 
    we despise those terrors, 
        their force is lessened, and 
        the soul gains power over them".

    "There is always some great good
        obtained"(from resisting the devil). 
               [ Life: Ch.31: # 10 ]

  "The fact is, 
       I know now how little power 
         the evil spirits have
       provided I am not out 
          of the grace of God"

       I have scarcely any fear of them 
          at all,  
       for their strength is as nothing

       if they do not find 
       ( that) the souls they assail, 
                 give up the contest,  
                 and  become cowards;
            -- it is in this case 
                       (only when the assailed souls give up 
                        and become cowards)
                that they (the devils) show their power.
                    [ Life: Ch.31: # 11 ]


  ___________________________


1b).  What special benefits 
               of Holy Water 
          did she describe ?
            [ Life: Ch.31: # 4, 10 ]

St. Teresa stated:



  "I know by frequent experience 
      that there is nothing 
   which puts the devils to flight
      like holy water".
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 4 ]


   "They run away
       before the sign of the cross also,
     but they return immediately: 


     great, then, must be 
       the power of holy water".


     "my soul is conscious 
        of a special and 
        most distinct consolation
      whenever I take it. 


     "I feel almost always 
        a certain refreshing, 
     which I cannot describe, 
        together with an inward joy, 
     which comforts my whole soul

     This is 
        no fancy
        nor a thing 
     which has occurred once only; 
        for it has happened very often, and 
     I have watched it very carefully"

      "...his whole being is refreshed".

      "I consider that everything 
         ordained by the Church 
      is very important; 


      and I have a joy in reflecting 
      that the words of the Church 
        are so mighty, 
      that they endow water with power,
        so that there shall be 
        so great a difference
        between  holy water 
        and  water 
                that has never been blessed"


      "Then, as my pains did not cease...
        I would ask for some holy water. 


      They brought me some,
        and sprinkled me with it; 
       but I was no better. 


       I then threw some myself 
        in the direction of the (devil) 
         ...he fled in a moment. 

       All my sufferings ceased
".

           [ Life: Ch.31: # 4 ]

     "I made the sign of the cross,

          and (the devil)  went away. 
       I then returned to my prayer, 
          and he, too, came back; 

      he did so, I believe, three times and

         I was not able to finish the prayer
      without throwing holy water at him"
            [ Life: Ch.31: # 10 ]
_________________________


2). What kind of occasion, 
         according to St. Teresa, 
      would often incite
        a disturbance by the devil?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 6,4,8,9,10 ]


St. Teresa said that when she strived
      with God's help, 
   to help another to advance in prayer,
      especially one who was a sinner,
   the devil would create a disturance
      and cause her much sufferings.


"This (disturbance by the devil) 
       took place almost always 
  when our Lord was pleased 
      that some soul or other, 
            persuaded by me, 
      advanced in the spiritual life".
               [ Life: Ch.31: # 6 ]


St. Teresa prayed often  to God
     for herself and others 
    in order to resist the devil because:


    "if, by our Lord's permission, Satan 
       - can do so much evil 
                 to a soul  and body 
           (that is) not in his power,


       - he can do much more 
           when he has them 
                 in his possession".
                  [ Life: Ch.31: # 4 ]


"I implored His Majesty 
    to put an end to 
       these torments and temptations, and
    to let the evil spirits torment me 
       instead (of the other person)
   provided I did not offend our Lord. 


   Thus it was that for one month 
       I was most grievously tormented;


   and then it was 
       that these two assaults of Satan, 
               took place.
                 [ Life: Ch.31: # 8 ]




    "The devils must have been 
        more angry with me only 
     because I asked them (the Nuns)
         to pray (for one who was being tempted), and   
     because our Lord permitted it 
         on account of my sins. 
             [ Life: Ch.31: # 9 ]


     
    "I saw certain souls at that moment 
    come forth out of purgatory
       --they must have been 
          near their deliverance, 
    and I thought that Satan might
    in this way have been trying 
           to hinder their release".
                [ Life: Ch.31: # 10 ]


_______________________


3). How did St. Teresa feel about being 
          persecuted by others?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 13]


St. Teresa said:

"when I am persecuted 

then my soul is so conscious of strength


      though the body suffers, and 
      though I am in other ways afflicted...
  my soul seems then 
        to be a queen in its kingdom
      having everything under its feet.
              [ Life: Ch.31: # 13 ]
____________________________


4). What did St. Teresa say  regarding
       "being made much" by others                   
         and Humility
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 13,14,15,16,17,18]


St. Teresa said:
  "I was much tormented
           and even now I am tormented
   when I saw people 
            make much of me,
            particularly great people, and 
   when they spake well of me.      


    I think at once of the life 
           of Christ and 
           of the Saints...  
    for they received nothing 
           but contempt and ill-treatment. 
      and then my life seems 
           the reverse of theirs".


       All this makes me afraid; 
          I dare not lift up my head, and 
          I wish nobody saw me at all"
               [ Life: Ch.31: # 13 ]


    When I considered that the graces 
      which our Lord had bestowed 
            upon me
       might come to the knowledge 
            of the public, 
       my sufferings became so excessive 
            as to greatly to disturb my soul. 


      They went so far, 
          that I made up my mind, 
      while thinking of it,
          that I would 
       rather be buried alive
          than have these things known. 


       And so, when I began 
          to be profoundly recollected, or 
        to fall into a trance, 
          which I could not resist
                even in public, 
        I was so ashamed of myself, 
           that I would not appear 
               where people might see me.
                [ Life: Ch.31: # 14]


       Once, when I was
           much distressed at this, 
        our Lord said to me, 
        What was I afraid of? 
         one of two things must happen
         --people would 
               either speak ill of me, 
               or give glory to Him. 

       He made me understand by this, 
         - that those who believed in the truth 
              of what was going on in me 
                    would glorify Him;and

         - that those who did not 

                    would condemn me without cause: 

         in both ways I should be the gainer, 



       and I was therefore 
            not to distress myself. 
        This made me quite calm, and 
         it comforts me 
             whenever I think of it.
                   [ Life: Ch.31: # 15 ]


         This temptation 
               became so excessive, 
          that I wished to
              leave...to another monastery,
         where enclosure was 
              more strictly observed... 
         where I was not known 


          These fears deprived me 
              in a great measure 
          of all liberty of spirit"  
              [ Life: Ch.31: # 16 ]


          I fell, too, into another extreme. 


          I begged of God...
          that it might please His Majesty,  
          - whenever any one 
                  saw any good in me
          - that such a one might also 
             become acquainted 
                 with my sins
          in order that he might see that
            His graces were bestowed on me
            without any merit on my part  

          if I saw that any one 
             thought well of me, 
          I used...to contrive 
             he should know of my sins:
  
          But they have made me 
                very scrupulous on this point. 

          It seemed to me 
            that I was deceiving everybody  
          though, in truth,
            they deceived themselves, 
          by thinking that there was 
             any good in me  


          I did not wish to deceive them, 
            nor did I ever attempt it, 
         only our Lord permitted it 
            for some end"
                    [ Life: Ch.31: # 17 ]




Regarding  Humility:


   "I regarded it as a sign 
           of virtue and 
           of humility; 
    but I see clearly now 
      it was nothing else 
           but a temptation 


     A Dominican friar, of great learning,
           showed it to me very plainly. 
             [ Life: Ch.31: #  14 ]


     "and I understood afterwards 
     that this was not true humility,  
           because it disturbed me so much. 


     And our Lord taught me this truth; 
     if I was convinced, 
          and certainly persuaded, 
     that all that was good in me 
          came wholly and only from God


     if it did not distress me 
          to hear the praises of others...
     if I was pleased and comforted 
         when I saw 
         that God was working in them


     then neither should I be distressed 
      if He showed forth His works 
          in me.
                  [ Life: Ch.31: # 16 ]


   "if I saw that any one 
             thought well of me, 
          I used...to contrive 
             he should know of my sins:
  
          But they have made me 
               very scrupulous on this point. 


         This...was not an effect 
               of humility
          but oftentimes the result 
               of temptation
                       [ Life: Ch.31: # 17 ]

        "All these little
              fears and 
              distresses, and 
               semblance of humility
           I now see clearly 
               were mere imperfections
            and the result 
               of my unmortified life;


           for a soul left in the hands of God 
              cares nothing 
                   about evil or good report,
           if it clearly comprehends, 
              when our Lord is pleased 
                   to bestow upon it His grace, 
           that it has nothing of its own


           Let it 
            - trust the Giver
                it will know hereafter 
              why He reveals His gifts, and 
            - prepare itself for persecution,
                which...is sure to come, 
              when it is our Lord's will 
                it should be known of any one 
              that He bestows upon him
                graces  such as these...  


              I was therefore not humble
                 but a coward; 
              for a soul which God permits 
                 to be thus seen of men 
              may well prepare itself 
                 to be the world's martyr-- 
              because, if it will not die 
                 to the world voluntarily, 
              that very world will kill it.
                 [ Life: Ch.31: # 18 ]


________________________

5
). What did St. Teresa say 

       "seems good...in the world" ?
           [ Life: Ch.31: # 19 ]


St. Teresa said:

"Certainly, I see nothing in the world

that seems to me good 
       except this, 
that (the world) 
  - tolerates no faults in good people and
  - helps them to perfection 
        by dint of complaints against them"


   "the world, 
    when it sees any one 
         beginning to travel on that road, 
     insists on his becoming 
         perfect at once, 
     and a thousand leagues off 
         detects in him a fault, 
     which after all may be a virtue".
     
   "great courage is necessary here 
    for, though the poor soul 
        has not yet begun to walk, 
     the world will have it fly"


     and, though its passions 
        be not wholly overcome, 
     men will have it 
      that they must be under restraint, 
           even upon trying occasions, 
      as those of the Saints..."
                [ Life: Ch.31: # 19 ]


____________________________


6). What did St. Teresa say about
       the striving for perfection ?
                [ Life: Ch.31: # 19,20,25,27 ]


St. Teresa said:


 - "it requires greater courage 
          in one not yet perfect 
      to walk in the way of perfection 
          than to undergo
                an instant martyrdom; 


     for perfection is 
         not attained to at once,
     unless our Lord grant that grace 
         by a special privilege"
         [ Life: Ch.31: # 19 ]


- "very many go backwards 


     who, poor souls, know not 
        how to help themselves; 


     and I too, I believe, 
        would have gone back also, 
     if our Lord had not so mercifully 
        on His part 
        done everything for me. 


     And until He, of His goodness, 
        had done all


      nothing was done by me,    
         beyond falling and rising again.
                [ Life: Ch.31: # 20 ]




Are we striving 
      after union with God ? and 


Do we wish to follow 
      the counsels of Christ, 


       Our Lord comes to the soul 
        when we 
            do violence to ourselves, and 
             (force ourselves to sacrifice our attachments)
            strive to give up our rights 
                 in many things
  
       "Our Lord will never suffer any one 
        who has made 
           so good a resolution as this 
         to miss so great a blessing


         His Majesty will make 
           so many arrangements for him, 
          whereby he may acquire 
                     this virtue.            


          Let him put his hand to the work. 
                 [ Life: Ch.31: # 25 ]


         By trifles such as these, 
           which are nothing...         
         by little and little, 
              doing such actions, and 
         by such slight performances,
                they become of worth 
                 because done for God,


          His Majesty helps us on 
                 towards greater things


           and so it happened to me 
                 in the matter of humility".
                   [ Life: Ch.31: # 27 ]
__________________________


7 ). What did St. Teresa say about
          those who would fly 
       "before God gives them wings" ?
             [ Life: Ch.31: #  20, 21 ]

St. Teresa said:


"...many souls, I believe, 
     delude themselves in this matter;
  they would fly 
     before God gives them wings". 
          [ Life: Ch.31: # 20 ]




- "WHEN these souls begin,  
       with great 
           fervour,
           courage, and 
           desire,  
       to advance in virtue,

- WHEN they see in others, 

      more advanced than themselves,  
           in greater fruits of virtue 
                  -- given them by our Lord,
                      for we cannot acquire 
                      these of ourselves -- 

- WHEN
they see in all the books written 

           on prayer and 
           on contemplation 
     an account of 
           what we have to do 
                 in order to attain thereto, 
            but which they cannot 
                 accomplish themselves,--
THEY lose heart

          For instance, they read 

             that we must 
                 - not be troubled 
                     when men speak ill of us, 
             that we are to be then 
                - more pleased 
                     than when they speak well of us; 
             that we must 
               - despise our own good name, 
               - be detached"
         they may feel disheartened 
             and distressed.
                  [ Life: Ch.31: # 21 ]


___________________________


8). What advice or encouragement
         does she provide? 
         [Life: Ch.31: # 21,22,23,24,25,
                                  26,27 ]

St. Teresa said:



Regarding Trust 
   rather than Discouragement:
   "Let them not distress themselves"

         because of their shortcomings.


  "The disposition to practise 
         (humility and detachment)
       must be the gift of God


      for it seems to me 
         a supernatural good
      contrary to our natural inclinations
    
      These virtues are 
        "given them by our Lord,
       for we cannot acquire these 
        of ourselves


  "Let them trust in our Lord"


   "What they now desire, 
     His Majesty will enable them 
          to attain to 
     by prayer, and 
     by doing what they can themselves


   for it is very necessary 
       for our weak nature 
   that we should have great confidence,
   that we should 
      not be fainthearted
      nor suppose that, 
           if we do our best
              we shall fail to obtain 
           the victory at last".
                   [ Life: Ch.31: # 21 ]


   
Regarding Self-knowledge:

    "do not think 

     that a virtue is acquired 
      when we have not tested it 
               by its opposing vice


    we must always 
       be suspicious of ourselves, and 
       never neglient while we live;  
    (because)
        - for  much evil clings to us       
           if grace be not given 
                  to us  
                  to understand fully what everything is: 
        - and in this life there is nothing 
           without great risks.
                  [ Life: Ch.31: # 21 ]


Regarding Avoiding dangerous
           occasions and circumstances:


    From her own experiences
       she advises:    

    "that it was necessary...  

           to flee from dangerous occasions


       in order that the virtue 
           which our Lord had begun  
       to implant...might grow"


       (since) "I was 
            not so detached 
        as I thought, and 
               [ Life: Ch.31: # 22 ]


Regarding Detachment:


She specifically emphasizes
   the subtle dangers of attachment to:
 honor, self-esteem, and self-respect.


  "we are not all of us detached, 
     though we think we are"


   it is necessary for us 
    never to be careless on this point. 


    If any one 
        detects in himself  any tenderness 
           about his good name, and 


    yet wishes to advance 
           in the spiritual life
     let him...throw this embarrassment 
           behind his back"
                  [ Life: Ch.31: # 23 ] 

    It seems to me to be 

           a hindrance on the road, and 
       I am astonished at the harm it does


   Why has ( a holy person) not arrived 
             at the summit of perfection?...
      What keeps him back
             who does so much for God?...

                --self-respect


        and the worst of it is, 
        that these persons will not admit 
             that they have it...   
         because Satan convinces them 
          that they are under an obligation 
              to observe it.
                     [ Life: Ch.31: # 23 ]


        our self-respect...is a thing 
            which hurts the soul 
         exceedingly in every way, 
         but it is a pestilence 
             in the way of prayer.
                  [ Life: Ch.31: # 24 ]

        This miserable self-esteem 
         took from me the power of doing 
        that which I regarded as an honour
                 [ Life: Ch.31: # 26 ]


   "do we wish to follow 
          the counsels of Christ,
          --who was loaded with reproaches 
            and falsely accused,--


          and, at the same time, 
           to keep our own reputation 
              and credit untouched? 

          We cannot succeed, 
           for these things are inconsistent 
          one with another. 
             [ Life: Ch.31: # 25 ]





  "only the help of God, 
      obtained by 
          - prayer and 
          - much striving on his part
       can do it. 
               [ Life: Ch.31: # 23 ]



Regarding Perseverence:
     
  "If our Lord bestows any virtue 
     upon us, 
   we must 
         - make much of it, and 
         - by no means run the risk of losing it"
              [ Life: Ch.31: # 23 ]


  Are we striving 
        after union with God? and 


       do we wish to follow 
         the counsels of Christ, 


       Our Lord comes to the soul 
        when we 
            do violence to ourselves, and 
            strive to give up our rights 
                 in many things
  
       "Our Lord will never suffer any one 
        who has made 
           so good a resolution as this 
         to miss so great a blessing. 


         His Majesty will make 
           so many arrangements for him, 
          whereby he may acquire 
                     this virtue            


          Let him put his hand to the work
                 [ Life: Ch.31: # 25 ]


         By trifles such as these, 
           which are nothing...         
         by little and little
              doing such actions, and 
         by such slight performances,
                they become of worth 
                 because done for God,


          His Majesty helps us on 
                 towards greater things; 
           and so it happened to me 
                 in the matter of humility. 
               [ Life: Ch.31: # 27 ]


___________________________